Running from Buffalo (and elsewhere)

Doro Hoffmann

Doro Hoffmann

Hey there!

I am new to the forum and just wanted to say hi! I am a self-described hiker, runner, health-foodie and sometimes also a linguist and fieldworker. I currently live in Chicago, but am looking to relocate to a more mountainous/nature setting. My blog Running from Buffalo (https://hoffmanndorothea.wordpress.com) talks about nutrition, running, marathon training and (soon!) about my many hiking adventures! Ever since I hiked the Overland Trail in Tasmania in 2005, I have been hooked on the outdoors, wilderness, and backcountry-hiking. Last year, I stumbled all over Yellowstone, Yosemite, and Grand Canyon National Parks and a few National Forests (Brittlestone to name just one). I encountered grizzlies and black bears, elk and pronghorn, tiny dinosaurs and eagles. Can't wait to see more! I also spent a lot of my time in the Australian outback doing linguistic fieldwork on endangered languages in the wild Daly River area. It's a blast! 

Great to meet you all! Who are you and what are your favorite outdoor hangouts?

cropped-2015_10_01_oct23_grandcanyon_014.jpg

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Welcome to the forum! Awesome photo. I'm originally from the Chicago area, but relocated to the Rocky Mountains for a more natural setting. So you could say my outdoor hangouts are the mountains and red rocks of the west lately. :)

Look forward to hearing more about your travels!

• Like 1

Doro Hoffmann

Thank you Jen, for the warm welcome! As a matter of fact, I am currently in the planning stages to relocating out West...! The mountains are calling. Lake Michigan just can't quite compete with that :). 

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy it.  I have found a lot of good information and some very good people on here.  Hope you enjoy it and look forward to reading your blog.

• Like 1

Doro Hoffmann

Thanks Jay for saying hi! I am very eager to explore the forum and meet many like-minded outdoorsy types :)

Welcome Doro!  I'm also from the Chicago area (northwest suburbs), but alas, have no plans on moving west as of yet. Devil's Lake State Park in Baraboo, WI, is one of my favorite places to hike but there are some other great places in the Great Lakes, too, for weekend hikes. 

• Like 1

Doro Hoffmann

I spent my birthday last year at Devils Lake! It is indeed very pretty :)! Much more so than Starved Rock, IL, if I may say so. Though, I must say, the Midwest has a knack for excellent exciting name-choices for State Parks! ;)