Rain gear

JasonByers

I use a poncho right now but I'm thinking of switching to a rain jacket and pants plus a pack cover for the winter. Which do you guys prefer and why? I'm looking at antigravity gear's jacket and I'm probably going to make some chaps and pack cover from some silnylon I have. This will be my first year I'll be hiking all winter long so Im not sure if my poncho will give me enough protection. Thanks.

Jason, I have a few different hard shells...including the AGG sil jacket. I only have one pair of rain pants...these have not been with me in a loooonnnngggg....time. This year though, I will be sporting a top and bottom set of dri ducks...

The AGG jacket is ok. My biggest hang up with it is that the sleeves are too short for me. If they were at least an inch (maybe 1.5") longer they would be better, and this jacket would probably make it out more of the time. Also, I removed the velcro closure wrist straps since they did not work out too well for me. Instead, I installed a cord with a cord lock in the wrist hem...however, I think an elastic cord would work better... Don't get me wrong though, I have always had very good customer service when dealing with AGG, and that speaks loudly to me. This was the first jacket I bought from them. Now that I know a little better, I wonder if I would have asked them about a little extra length in the wrist, if it would have been a problem...I don't know. (FYI, I ordered the XL and it fits me fine everywhere else, although, it is a bit short in the back...)

If you wanted a sil jacket though, I would also suggest to look at Lukesultralite.com since he also makes them, however, he may be able to custom fit it more to you. As well, he uses a waterproof zipper on the front rather than a regular zipper with a storm flap like on the AGG version. (IMO, the zipper on the AGG jacket is not the greatest either as it can get stuck a bit.) As well, he can add in pit zips if desired and it even comes in black! :)

I do like the idea of chaps and have toyed with the idea of picking up some from ZPacks, but haven't yet...

Thanks for the informative reply! I looked into the lukesultralight jacket now and probably will go with that one. You are the second person I've heard say that the back is a little short on the AGG jacket and I think everyone says the sleeves are too short. Thanks again.

When I got a rain jacket about 6 months ago, I was going cheap but effective and I can't say enough good things about Red Ledge. I got their Thunderlight and while it doesn't have all bells and whistles like a North Face/Mountain Hardwear/etc. it has held up to some really rainy conditions in Yosemite because of its sealed seams. Red Ledge also makes pants but I can't vouch for them. They aren't sil so probably not what you want but just throwing in my 2 cents. That Lukes jacket looks pretty sweet!

IMO, there is nothing wrong with NOT having all the bells and whistles... when I first started bping I liked all that stuff...or so I thought. Now, instead, give me simple, light and effective...nothing more, nothing less... :)

• 2 weeks later...
CarolinaTrecker

I've found that I like a pack liner better than rain covers. Bag liners can be multi-purpose, (bear bag, misc bag while in camp, etc.) and also does not restrict shoulder straps like pack covers can sometimes do. You can get very nice bag liners, sea to summit/granite gear, or just go with an extra strength trash bag, depending on your budget.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm still using the poncho for now but I'll have a rain suit setup after this next trip. Thanks CarolinaTrecker for tip on the pack liners. I was using them for a while then got lazy. I used to use just a trash bag but I have some gossamer gear bags that should be here tomorrow. I figure since its getting colder I better protect my quilts a little better than I have been. I still don't like the idea of getting my pack wet by using only the liners mainly because I don't want to carry the extra weight from the water but I'm sure with the dwr coating that most all packs have its probably not a big deal anyway. I'm just a little ocd sometimes. Thanks for the great tip. Maybe the next rain shower ill get my pack out in it and do a little testing.