Cliff dwellings

Mohican

Will be camping in Zion and would like to hike areas in southern Utah or northern Arizona where we can get close to ancient cliff dwellings. Any suggestions?

Many NP and monuments have them.  Some of the best are Mesa Verde, Chaco Cyn, Canyon de Chelley, Bandolier NM and Navajo NM

I'd like to plug for Hovenweep as well if you are camping vs backpacking. Not nearly as visited as other places, really intimate place and great views from the campground.

The others places are all incredible too (if Mesa Verde is a much busier being a very large national park).

Don't go in the summer. I remember sitting in a kiva solo in Mesa Verde in December watching the snow flakes come down through the smoke hole.  It was the moment that started me thinking about Nature as my religion.

If you want remote Navajo NM is a good one. A friend on mine got married at Keet Seel ruins about 10 miles from the road. Grandma came in on a donkey.

Edited by ppine

Mesa Verde NP is almost entirely closed down during the winter now. Even when the wife and I went late September, 1/3rd of the park was closed.

The point is that cliff dwellings and interesting archaeological sites are best visited in the off season when there is some time for quiet contemplation. I used to work with archaeologists and it is a valuable thing to be able to think like an aboriginal person.

No disagreement there. The wife and I often go to NPS units in the off season for that reason (Chaco in late December was sublime).  

Just be aware to any readers that the hours, esp in more popular parks like Mesa Verde, are often set up for the height of summer. Certain areas may be closed during non-popular times.

Cheers...

• Like 1