Newbie in Ohio

HippyTrails

HippyTrails

Hi everyone, my name is Jerid. I'm from northeast ohio, cleveland area. I've been car camping my whole life, but no backpacking experience yet. I plan to try backpacking with a hammock setup this summer with a group of friends for the first time.

My current sleeping setup is a yukon outfitters mosquito net hammock, yukon outfitters rain fly(both cheap from woot), ENO atlas straps, Snugpak top and underquilts.

My friends and I are looking for a good first time 3-day hike, any suggestions? We dont mind driving 6-8hrs if need be

Welcome. Not to far away from ya siiting to your east here in Erie mistake on the lake PA. Hiking is an awesome thing to get into just be advised it tends to draw your bank account low. Search around on here you ll find lots of good useful advise

hi @HippyTrails, Ohio has lots of great backpacking locations! backpackohio.com is a great resource. The backpack trails at Zaleski and Tar Hollow are great for beginners, as long as you are conditioned for climbing some hills. Zaleski has an option where you can do a long loop or a short one if the hills are really kicking your butt. The Twin Valley Backpacking Trail in the Dayton area is also a perfect, even playing field for beginners. Just make sure you get all the required permits before heading down for a weekend of hiking. 

Hope this helps! Happy Trails. 

• 1 month later...
Outdoorsmom76

@HippyTrails Hello from Indiana.  Welcome to the forum. I'm also an avid hiker and beginner backpacker.  I've found several places around Indiana for backpacking.  Long distance trails in the hoosier state are the Tecumseh trail and the Knobstone trail.  I've heard some people refer to the KT as the "little Appalachian trail".  It may be hard to believe Indiana has such a rugged trail, but I've heard it is a great hike. Personally,  I'm doing my first multi-day trip at the Deam Wilderness, near Bloomington, IN this spring.  Happy trails