Grand Canyon R2R advice

Annamarie09

Annamarie09

I am brand new to the forum and I am looking for some advice for my friends and I. We are planning a R2R hike at the Grand Canyon in the beginning of June. Obviously there is no way we can get permits to camp at the bottom, as this was kind of a spur of the moment desicion, and we are all very avid hikers so we have decided to do it all at once.  There are 4 of us doing the trek, 2 will start in the south, 2 in the north, and we will swap keys in the middle so we don't have to take the shuttle.  I was wondering if anyone here had some advice to give about completing the trek in a day, times to start in the morning, average time length of journey...etc. We are all a little nervous but very excited, any tips would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Annie

You might be able to get a permit at cottonwood - it's a lot less popular than bright angel.

If you can't or still want to do the R2R, leave very early in the morning and build time into your schedule for gawking since the scenery is so amazing.  The temperature near the bottom of the canyon can be over 100 degrees by noon in June and there's generally no water sources on the south rim.  

The climb up is long and steady, so training wise you'll want to have done a few 4,000 foot elevation gains in one day and similar mileage.

Edited by HikerBox

As @HikerBox said, it will be toasty at the bottom at that time of year.  This is more of an issue for the group going S-N than N-S, as the hottest, least-shaded part is probably between Rainbow Falls and Roaring Springs.  The south Bright Angel trail is longer than the South Kaibab, but there is water partway up at Indian Gardens, and you don't need to deal with the south rim shuttle.

• 1 month later...

It is probably possible to get a walk-in permit in June without too much trouble. 

I think your plan is overly ambitious by a lot.  You  don't mention where you are from, but if you are planning to hike the Canyon in June, you are probably not from the West.  The Canyon is steep and arid in a way that is beyond most people's comprehension.  You are going to need to drink a gallon of water a day or more and you are going to have to carry it.  You are asking your body to do a lot of vertical in one day in tough conditions. Unless you are an Olympic athlete rethink your plan.