Hello from IL

AA

Husband and I got one kid off to college and celebrated by downsizing  to a smaller tent- #2 should be off in a few years and maybe we'll be backpacking it by then?? Either way we're looking forward to more time on trails. Our trips generally take us to CO and CA. Hope to make a move soon that will put more trails at our front door. Very nice, useful mag and site.

• Like 1

Welcome!  I moved from Illinois to Colorado in 1978--never regretted it.  What part of Illinois do you live in?

Welcome!  I'm from Illinois (Chicago northwest suburbs).  As you probably know, there's not a lot of great hiking here in the Flatland, but our neighboring states have some decent parks and trails. Love Devil's Lake for some challenging terrain.

Thanks for the kind welcomes! We live in the Chicago western suburbs, transplants after having grown up in several different places. John B- I spent summers as a kid in Steamboat. We did our first CO 14er a couple years ago (and so far, last, lol). We're making our first foray into the Canadian Rockies this summer. I'm sure TrailGroove will be helpful. HikerJen- Devils Lake and Starved Rock- two closest and best options.

Have you been to Turkey Run or Shades State Parks in Indiana?  They have some pretty rugged trails (a few with ladders and lots of stairs) and it's beautiful this time of year.  I was there this past weekend.  The weather was perfect for a good hike.

IMG_1261.JPG

IMG_1238.JPG

• Like 1

AA, good to hear you have been to parts of our fair state.  FYI, I will be back to the Canadian Rockies this July (17-28)--will be my eighth trip up there.  Let me know if you need any info as I have become pretty familiar with the Banff-Jasper parks and surround.

• 2 weeks later...
Outdoorsmom76

Hi AA, we're neighbors . I'm in Indiana.  Welcome to the forum.  I too am an empty nester, and enjoying some extra free time.