Pack choices for the over-packer

TxAggies

Howdy, all. I'm just getting back into backpacking and I'm taking my daughters on an overnight in a couple of months. I have an older military pack (CFP-90) that has served me well, but I'm thinking its time for an update. 

I tend end to pack a little on the heavy side, 45+ pounds for this one overnight is very possible; mainly because I'm not certain how much my youngest daughter will be able to handle, plus I just simply tend to over prepare. 

Any suggestions on son pack size I can get away with? I'm currently looking at about 4 packs:

Osprey Aether 70

Osprey Atmos AG 65

Osprey Volt 75

REI Traverse  70

REI Yosemite 70

Any others in that range as well. My main question is if there are any I should stay away from if I have the potential to carry 50+ lbs. I was seriously looking at hunting packs, but they are just out of my price range.

Thank you for any feedback or advise.

An Aggie walks into REI and sez...

9 hours ago, TxAggies said:

I'm currently looking at 4 packs:

Osprey Aether 70

Osprey Atmos AG 65

Osprey Volt 75

REI Traverse  70

REI Yosemite 70

Ha ha! Couldn't help myself - thanks for the laugh!

The rule is buy all your other stuff first and then get a pack that it fits into. Nobody really does that, but it's what you should do. The only thing that matters is how all your stuff feels in the pack on your back. So you should try all those on with a load similar to what you'll carry. They are all better than hunting packs. Maybe go cheap - if you stick with it you'll quit carrying so much stuff and want a smaller pack.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, toejam said:

An Aggie walks into REI and sez...

Ha ha! Couldn't help myself - thanks for the laugh!

The rule is buy all your other stuff first and then get a pack that it fits into. Nobody really does that, but it's what you should do. The only thing that matters is how all your stuff feels in the pack on your back. So you should try all those on with a load similar to what you'll carry. They are all better than hunting packs. Maybe go cheap - if you stick with it you'll quit carrying so much stuff and want a smaller pack.

Lol, yep we make for some great jokes. 

Thanks for the advice. I've got most of my gear, problem is I can only afford a new pack or a new tent this season. My current tent is a little large so I need a bigger pack, and my current pack isn't quite large enough for my gear plus additional gear and water for my daughters even with a smaller tent. 

I will probably keep this pack for several years and will work up to multiple day trips, so I want a pack that will keep up with me. As I said, I habitually pack heavy anyhow. 

Thanks again!

For that weight, you should take a look at Seek Outside. People with heavy loads seem to really like them.

Phil at SectionHiker reviewed a couple of their packs. I think he is pretty unbiased and his reviews are pretty detailed, so if he likes a pack it is probably worth considering.

http://sectionhiker.com/paradox-packs-unaweep-3900-backpack-review/

http://sectionhiker.com/paradox-packs-unaweep-4800-backpack-for-winter-use/

With all that said, I would seriously think about shedding some weight. 45# is a lot for a 1 night trip.

• Like 1

Learn to leave stuff at home.  For an overnight a 50 liter pack would be generous.

Forget about the just in case items.  

Through hikers carry 20 pounds and they are out all summer.  Newbies going for a weekend carry 50 pounds. It makes no sense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ppine said:

Learn to leave stuff at home.  For an overnight a 50 liter pack would be generous.

Forget about the just in case items.  

Through hikers carry 20 pounds and they are out all summer.  Newbies going for a weekend carry 50 pounds. It makes no sense.

If just by myself, I agree. But again, I'm taking my 2 daughters with me and I will be carrying a majority of their gear, water, as well as an older 3 person tent. If I prepare to carry heavy and end up being light, I'm fine. The opposite and I've wasted time and money. THAT would make no sense.

I was hoping this would be a group that would address the questions asked instead of another group filled with people who think they know the situation and try to change how I do things. I LIKE carrying heavy, I'm used to it and I'm not afraid of it. I can always trim down later but right now I have to go with what I have available, and the pack is the one thing I can spend money on right now so I need something that will hold up.

2 hours ago, TxAggies said:

I LIKE carrying heavy, I'm used to it and I'm not afraid of it.

I'm definitely not trying to change your hiking, I'm a big fan of HYOH as long as it doesn't affect me and you carry a big pack doesn't affect me :)

Take a look at the Seek Outside packs, they are expensive, but seem to be what you are looking for.

• Like 1

On April 25, 2016 at 10:15 AM, TxAggies said:

Any suggestions on son pack size I can get away with? I'm currently looking at about 4 packs:

Osprey Aether 70

Osprey Atmos AG 65

Osprey Volt 75

REI Traverse  70

REI Yosemite 70

I'm a fan of Osprey packs so I'll comment on them.

I use a Volt 60, and it is comfortable up to about 40 lbs. Since the Volt 75 uses the identical shoulder strap/hipbelt system with the same amount of padding, I personally think carrying much over 40 lbs. would start to dig into the shoulders a bit too much. Great pack but probably not for the weights you are thinking of carrying.

The Aether 70 has beefier shoulder straps and a more padded hip belt so it can easily carry more weight (50+ lbs). The hip belt on the Aether can also be custom heat-molded to better fit your hips which could help with the heavier loads. I think REI stores will do the heat molding but I don't know if it's an extra charge or not.

The Atmos AG 65 is a newer Osprey pack I believe, and has a mesh back panel allowing for lots of ventilation between your back and the pack so if you're hiking in hot weather a lot that could be a consideration. It's suitable up to about 50 lbs.

Both packs are very suitable for either overnighter or multi-day trips.

Hope this helps!

Edited by PaulGS
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I second Seek Outside. Their pack frames are light and can comfortably carry a range of loads.

• Like 1

I've never heard of or seen Seek Outside packs. Hard to tell what they weigh, but I like the looks of the Divide 4500. Are they sold in stores?

• Moderator locked this topic
  • Aaron Zagrodnick unlocked this topic