Best CA Short Backpacking

coreypatd

Hi everyone. I'm looking to take a solo backpacking trip during Memorial Day weekend. I'm looking for any advice you have regarding what some of the best trails may be during that time. I'm thinking a 2-3 day trip. I live in San Francisco but am willing to drive maybe 6 hours. I've read online that it might be too early to do the Sierras (or at least too cold!) but please let me know if you think that's wrong. I read that the Smith Peak hike out of Hetch Hetchy might be good. Otherwise, I've read that the Lost Coast trail (either the north or the south portions) is great and also that the Pine Ridge trail to Sykes Hot Springs in Big Sur is great. Any advice? Thanks!

The best trails for solo hikes on Memorial Day and Labor Day are the rough, remote trails that nobody posts pictures of on Facebook. Like something not very spectacular that you thought wasn't worth the effort in the past. Big Sur is a good choice, but every hike I've been on up there will be really crowded. I'm guessing Sykes Hot Spring will be visited by over 100 20-somethings who don't know what they are doing, many of whom won't properly dispose of their excrement.

I'll be on a remote trail maintenance project in the San Rafael Wilderness near Cuyama, CA. It won't be anything like a solo trip, but if you are interested send me a message and I'll get you information.

• Like 1