Help me with plan B

Timeub32100

Timeub32100

Alright so I have a flight to Denver Tuesday 5/10 and flying out Saturday 5/14.  My plan was to do the goose Creek loop in the lost Creek wilderness.  It was already risky to plan a trip to high country in early May, but their snow has been crazy this year.  I don't own snow shoes, don't really want to invest in them right now either.  So I need a plan B.  Maybe Utah or Wyoming or somewhere else in Colorado.  Within 5-6 hour drive from Denver preferred.  

Any suggestions on where to hike around for 4 days 3 nights?   I'm fine with the elements.  Would prefer somewhere I don't have to pack all my water though.  Melting snow is fine for an option there as well.  I just don't want to be knee deep in snow (or worse).  

I'll be spending my last night in a hotel in Denver to shower and such so I don't stink up the plane on the ride home :)

Thanks in advance!

You can rent snowshoes from almost any sports/ski store in Denver. They are probably worth carrying. There are lots of places closer than Lost Creek too. I've snowshoed Mt. Evans, Guanella Pass road, road to Grays Peak - that area just up I-70. Also lower elevations of the Indian Peaks. You can probably find some trails that aren't so high and the snow will keep the crowds down.

Edited by toejam

If you haven't seen it, you should check out www.pmags.com for some CO ideas.

• 1 month later...