Wild Rogue Loop

GHSMITH76

GHSMITH76

My friend and I took on the recently refurbished Wild Rogue Loop, which shares the Rogue River Trail in Southern Oregon. This trail fulfilled all of the requirements I was looking for in a Springtime backpacking trip. It was a 5 hour drive from McMinnville to get to the Foster Bar Rogue River Trailhead, but good roads. Now is the time to backpack in the Rogue River Valley before the extreme heat sets in. The flowers were exploding, bug activity was low and temps were perfect. We saw a bear and were rewarded by the view from Hanging Rock.

HangingRock.jpg

Last year the Siskiyou Mountain Club with help from grants rejuvenated the 25 mile Rogue River Loop which is a conglomeration of the Rogue River Siskiyou National Forest’s Mule Creek Trail 1159, Panther Ridge Trail 1253, Clay Hill Trail 1160A, and the Rogue River Trail 1160. I highly recommend this backpacking trip and if you want more info check out my Wild Rogue Loop Blog Post

• Like 3

From the blog - "I would rank it as one of the Top 10 scenic locations in Oregon."

That's saying something.

That picture is awesome and the ones on your blog are pretty nice as well :) Looks like a great way to spend a couple days. Thanks for the report.

• Like 1

Nice loop. I live fairly close to the Lower Rogue and have backpacked the Lower Rogue Trail in early May, which is the best time before the rafting season and the hotter weather. It should be noted though that it is usually accessible year around but the nicer weather is in May.

I think it's exciting that this new loop has been completed and offers a nice option while in this area. Worth the trip !

• Like 1

shotgunpapa

Looks like you were having fun or about to take off flying lol.

Oh thanks for sharing love the picture.

• Like 1