TV Series for the Outdoors

branchville

branchville

Can anyone recommend a good series or movie a hiker would enjoy? It does not have to be about hiking, just related to the outdoors in some way. 

One series I enjoy occasionally is "Fat guys in the Woods".  It is aired by the Weather Channel and is a pretty realistic series on basic outdoor survival.  Give it a try if that sort of thing interests you.

• Like 1

Not everyone agrees but I enjoy watching Alone and Primal Survivor.  Naked and Afraid does a good job of showing the misery and tedium of long term survival.  One has to be selective in watching these kinds of programs. They are all best recorded and watched with a fast forward button.

• 2 months later...

I love watching The Last Alaskans and Live Free or Die. Both shows remind me to get outside and experience life outdoors. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I like Northwoods Law which features Maine Game Wardens. One show that caught my interest over a dozen Game Wardens searched for and found two lost AT hikers. While searching they found two other hikers lost and in trouble.

Alaska State Troopers is almost as good. Both are on Animal Planet

Totally different but still good is Mountain Men - men living in the mountains in three different states.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I also find Alone to be a fairly entertaining show. Seems like a lot of popular mainstream outdoor shows are survival-oriented (more drama I suppose), but of those I've found Survivorman with Les Stroud to be the most entertaining and informative without going over the top in regards to the hype and unnecessary drama.

• Like 1

Alone, The Last Alaskans, Life Below Zero, Mountain Men, Live Free or Die.   I watch all of those shows all the time.

I watched the first season of Naked and Afraid, but after that it just seemed like they were adding too many drama queens to each couple just to insight the drama. 

Loved Surviorman when it was on and some of his off-shoots.  I can't stand that Bear Grylis guy,  I watched the first couple of shows he put out and got turned off very quickly by his personality. 

If you want to watch a really good movie on Netflix that has a little to do with Backpacking, watch The Way, with Martin Sheen and his son Emilio Estevez, It's a small budget movie written and produced by Emilio about the Camino De Santiago in Spain.  I have watched that movie several times and still enjoy it.   Google it also to get some of the back story on why he created it. 

Survivorman was (or is i guess now that he's doing them for the science channel) really the only show in that genre I could watch. Stroud actually knows his stuff, and actually does what he portrays himself doing, and avoids any over the top antics unless it truly provides benefit to both the story and educating the audience. That being said, Bear Grylls' newer show "Running Wild" is fairly good especially for the interactions with his guest stars, although it still drives me crazy whenever they do something that is both obviously staged, and a bad idea in an actual survival scenario (like using an ice axe as a grappling hook to cross a canyon).

• Like 1