TV Series for the Outdoors

branchville

Into the Wild - for the adventurous non conforming spirited

Cast Away  - Tom Hanks had me interested the whole movie. Best scene and quote was after losing Kelly again in the study of his friend and fellow Fed EX associate was "And all my logic said that I would never see this place again. So that's what I did. I stayed alive. I kept breathing. And one day my logic was proven all wrong because the tide came in, and gave me a sail. And now, here I am. I'm back. In Memphis, talking to you. I have ice in my glass... And I've lost her all over again. I'm so sad that I don't have Kelly. But I'm so grateful that she was with me on that island. And I know what I have to do now. I gotta keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?" That's survival!

Touching the Void

The Way - Martin Sheen doing what his son wanted to do and learning something about himself in the process

The Beach - a young Leonardo De Caprio traveling and adventuring on a dime, another great soundtrack, that Dario G Voices sound and Moby's Porcelain

180 South - let's surf in exotic remote places

Alone in the Wilderness - Dick Proenekke story of real survival remote homesteading amply demonstrating the ceaseless effort and work involved  

Survivorman/Les Stroud is the only one I would watch consistently. Korey explained why.

Bear Gryllis is fun for the adventurous often  unexpected over the top obviously often choreographed. The episode where he suddenly finds a hang glider to use to take off from the top of a African Drakensbad escarpment/mountain, I Think, was the most amusing for me to watch with its remoteness and quick unexpected exit.    

Survivalist type series are too often based on staying put which isn't always the best survivalist approach but obviously better for being easier to produce

Liked Mile...Mile and a Half - about the JMT, liked the tracks by Opus Orange who nailed it  for backpacking/hiking rips

Last one.

National Geographic's Yellowstone NP documentaries.