The Storm: Hiking Along the Continental Divide Trail

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

“So much for the rain, doesn’t look so bad” I told Rachel, aka “Heartbreaker”, my girlfriend and recently committed long distance hiking partner. We awoke a few minutes earlier to a dry tent amid a socked in but rain free campsite. The forecast leaving our last town on the Continental Divide Trail, Leadore, Idaho (population 105), was for a strong storm to blow in overnight. We had started an “open ended section hike” on the CDT two months earlier from Grants, New Mexico headed northbound but late spring snow created avalanche conditions in Colorado and the melt littered lower routes with raging stream crossings. After we hit the Colorado border in June we flipped north to Glacier National Park and began hiking south...

@HikerBox with a story straight from the Continental Divide Trail - read the full article in Issue 29:

The Storm

Stories from the Trail - Thru-hiking the CDT.jpg

Issue 29 Page 1

• 2 years later...

This week I met a through hiker that has already finished the AT and PCT.  He will be doing the CDT in 2020.  

We talked a little about how cool and wet the northern Rockies are even in summer.   I used to live in CO and WY and hiked and packed mules all over that country.  It is wonderful but challenging.  A lot of times it rains every afternoon at 4.  There is much more mud than dust, nothing like the PCT. 

Roadkill had some new gizmo program for navigating the CDT.  It used to be one of the biggest challenges was finding the route.  I liked his idea of bringing a solar charger for the outside of the pack and always having a map.