Collegiate Loop- Colorado

tomcat

Recently hiked the 161 mile Collegiate Loop around the Collegiate Peaks of Colorado.  A great alternative if you don't have time for the entire Colorado Trail following both the Colorado Trail and Continental Divide Trail/Collegiate West with miles of alpine travel above treeline.  The trip report and photos are at my blog link below.

http://tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com/2016/08/backpacking-collegiate-loop.html

• Like 2

Nice report, I wish the weather had been better for you. I assume the bugs were not too much of a problem given the rain :)

I appreciate the details and the guidebook/maps recommendation at the end.

Glad you enjoyed the report.  There were some mosquitoes a few places.  My third night there were others camped near me saying they were some of the worst mosquitoes they have seen, but I didn't think they were too bad.  But then again I used to live in Maine where mosquitoes are unbearable at times.

Nice TR. Shame about the weather - the CW leg is one of the most scenic stretches of trail anywhere, in my estimation. Hard to appreciate what you can't see. 

Nice report. I hiked the eastern stretch in 2014 as part of a Colorado Trail thru-hike. You're right. The scenery is second to none...when you can see it.