Hiking the Ananconda-Pintler Wilderness

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

The Anaconda Pintler Wilderness is an overlooked gem in the state of Montana. It doesn’t have the notoriety of a Glacier National Park, or the iconic awe of “The Bob” (as in the Bob Marshall Wilderness), but it has the solitude and grandeur of some of the best wilderness the west has to offer. Lying in the vicinity of Butte, Montana, but closer to the copper-smelting town of Anaconda, this wilderness is part of the spine of the Rocky Mountains and also encompasses a 45-mile stretch of the Continental Divide Trail. Elevations vary greatly from a low of 5,100 feet, to a high at West Goat Peak near 10,800 feet...

David Cobb relays some great insight on hiking the Pintlers combined with some amazing photography from a recent trip, check out the full article below in Issue 5:

Hiking the Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness

Issue 5 Page 1

• 3 years later...

Sounds like a great excursion.  I clearly need to get in there.  Thanks for the nice article and especially for the beautiful photos.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Glad you liked the article @BBQDad, this was definitely a good one. Welcome to the site as well!

I'm nearly 100% positive that pic on pg 24 is a segment of a CDT alternate, a trail less sometimes 3 pt exposed traverse, right across from  the end/start of the Highline Tr I took ending back on the CDT right at the nearby pass in the pic. I remember standing on that largest pointed rock.   

• 2 months later...