Along the CDT in the Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

We had a nagging feeling over 500 miles into what we called our “open ended section hike” of the CDT – a non-commitment to hike as much of the trail as we wanted to. Rachel and I both wanted to push our boundaries and hike more off-trail routes and if you were lucky vaguely described on Jonathan Ley’s unofficial Continental Divide Trail (CDT) maps. Almost all of our experience was on trail but we wanted more of an adventure off the beaten path so to speak. On our first attempt at the southern edge of the Bob Marshall Wilderness Complex, I was excited and climbed too far...

@HikerBox with a story from the CDT in the Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness along the Continental Divide Trail in Montana - take a look in Issue 30:

Hugging the Divide in the Pintlers

Continental Divide Trail in the Anaconda-Pintler Wilderness.jpg

Issue 30 Page 1

• Premium Member
Mark Wetherington

Great trip report! I've passed through some of that area on a loop hike I did last year (Johnson Lake, Cutaway Pass) and was blown away by the scenery. The comparison to Glacier is certainly accurate and the crowds are pretty non-existent. A friend and I did a 40-mile loop over five days and only saw a handful of other people at the end of the hike, and no one for the first three days.