yet another bear question

KYhiker40

Like many of you, in colder weather I hate getting up in the middle of the night to relieve myself.  I've always carried a designated bottle for this purpose, so I don't have to get out of my hammock/tent.  Any thoughts on this in bear country?  I'll be on the AT in the Roan Mountain area later this month.  Any risk of attracting bears into camp?

If you are afraid a bear might try to steal the pee bottle out of your hammock/tent, put your mind at ease. I'm not a biologist, but I'm willing to go out on a limb and say no bear would be attracted to that.

• 1 year later...

Bears are around.  There is always some risk.  They are largely nocturnal, so don't plan on much fumbling around in the dark.  Use a headlamp if you get up and make some noise. 

In the early 1970s I was new to the West and made dinner in the dark one night at Crater Lake.   I turned on a flashlight to check the bean soup cooking on a picnic table.  On the other side of the picnic table was a large boar black bear on his hind legs.  I backed up and he jumped on top of the table to eat the food cooking on the stove.  After that I have never cooked in the dark. 

• 4 months later...
Grey Mouse

I listen to the bears often when camping in the wilderness. They generally stay out of camp because I don't cook or eat at camp. Also it is wise to leave your cook pot by the cooking area if you've cooked in it. Since I only boil water with alcohol so I take it with me. Usually the bears go to the cooking area first, bang the pots around waking us up, followed by the trash/eating area, and finally to the campsite if you were foolish enough to lead them there with a forgotten snack in you pack. When hanging my bear bag I will often place a bell on it for an alarm although many times I carry a vault instead. As ppine stated above it's a bad idea to cook after dark.

When nature calls at night I simply turn on my headlamp, grab my bear spray (also wearing a sidearm), exit my hammock as loudly as reasonable (other campers are sleeping), talk as I put on my boots, look around with the headlamp and my 1000 lumen pocket light, and walk to the designated spot that has a glow stick at the tree. Upon return I simply reverse the pattern. I'm there to enjoy nature and not interact, feed, or molest it. I would rather not see a bear but they are a curious lot. If I see one I simply let him have that half of the world and safely retreat :)

Now big cats...that is a different matter. A panther will leave you alone most times and a mountain lion will not. I have had a panther walk right up on me within ten feet in the dark just to stare at me. I knew that she was in the area because I heard what sounded like a baby crying the woods earlier. She occupied that side of the earth and I backed up. She never budged an inch as I left. A mountain lion will follow you. I don't mind bears as I see them as big kids that like to taste things but a cat likes to "play games" such as stalk and sit. You can hear a bear if you listen. A cat ? Good luck lol.

Edited by Grey Mouse

• 2 months later...