2 sleeping bags question

Reflex

Well Im still going back and forth on sleeping bags. Like I mentioned in another thread I got the Sierra Designs Zissou 3S which weighs 2lbs, 15 oz and can keep me warm in the 20s. Ive tried it at home and its very toasty, I can tell, and its super wide and comfy for a side sleeper like me, opens on both sides (partial one side).

So now, Im trying to fig out what lighter and less warm bag to get for not so cold temps. I ordered and received and tried at home a Marmot Hydrogen. It feels a little claustro for me width wise, not sure I will keep it…..? Other than that the weight and temp specs are I think a good choice for spring and well sleeping on top in summer. But again not wide enough….

So for my 2nd not so warm bag, for late spring/summer….I am finding a variety of wide cute bags by Nemo, Sierra Designs, Sea To Summit rated EN Comfort anywhere from 30-36 and weighing 2 lbs 2 oz to 2 lbs 6 oz…..which is not that much lighter than the 3S I mentioned above at 2lbs 15 oz…..make sense? And not sure if 36 EN vs 30 is a good idea.

Thoughts? :)

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

From the weight you referenced on the Zissou I'm guessing these are long bags, with the Zissou at a 64/60 shoulder / hip measurement and the Hydrogen at 63/58 - Just curious, where does the Hydrogen feel too claustrophobic? Just in the shoulders or hip, or everywhere? 

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Not sure if it would be a better fit for you but the Marmot Plasma 30 and the Quark are both 62/60 in the long and pretty light:

http://www.backcountry.com/marmot-plasma-30-sleeping-bag30-degree-down

http://www.backcountry.com/marmot-quark-sleeping-bag-30-degree-synthetic

Also if you're up for it perhaps it might be worth considering a hoodless bag and especially for warmer temps where the lack of a hood is less of a concern. Lots of size options here and at a very light weight:

http://www.zpacks.com/quilts/sleepingbag.shtml

I have the ZPacks 20 degree sleeping bag, but at under 2lbs I just use it for any warmer temps as well.

• Premium Member
Mark Wetherington

I have owned a Marmot Plasma 30 for almost five years now and have to say that it is one of my favorite sleeping bags. The weight, the fabrics, the details, even the aesthetics of it are just perfect. It is a bit pricey but honestly I think even at full price it is worth it for the quality of the bag. From what you mentioned in your post, I would whole-heartedly recommend the Marmot Plasma 30. I've used mine in temps from low 20s (wearing a down jacket and down booties and baselayers) to the upper 40s and always been comfortable. 

I was tempted last year to buy a Plasma 0, but went with a Feathered Friends bag instead. I'm pretty well stocked on sleeping bags right now, but if I were in the market for a sleeping bag the only brands I would really consider are Feathered Friends, Western Mountaineering, a bag in the Marmot Plasma series, or a small manufacturer (like ZPacks).

• Like 1

Its a $$ decision im making without enough trips under my belt. 

The Zissou I currently have can handle down to 20's but it may be too warm of a bag during warmer months (im in Georgia). 

https://sierradesigns.com/zissou-plus-700-15-degree/

The idea of a 2nd bag is a lighter 30 all arounder bag for spring, fall and well, summer and sleep on top. 

So spending $$ on a 30 bag, a good worthy move? (besides the Zissou I already own) 

or....

I may be underestimating that the Zissou which would work zipped open in summer?

(No quilts for me, tried didnt work. )

• Premium Member
Mark Wetherington

Honestly, it might not be a bad idea to stick with the Zissou for a summer and see how it works for you. If you really want a dedicated bag just for warm summer temps, then I'd probably look at a 40* degree bag because that should give you a pretty good weight savings without spending a whole lot of money.