Winter nights

Game Warden

How do you pass the night when winter camping? I like to read and always pack a book, but even a good book and adult beverage isn't enough for 14 hours of cold and dark.

I usually have a few movies or TV shows on my iPhone to watch. I'm going winter camping early next week and have a few episodes of Sherlock to watch. 

I'm not using my iPhone for communication (no cell reception) so if my battery goes dead I'm not concerned.

Edited by PaulGS

A major drawback to winter backpacking.  I wish I a solution for you. Staring at the inside of the tent is overrated.  Best bet might be a larger group, a fire, and some stories...But that's a lot of work for one or two people.

:^)

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I also load up some movies or shows on my phone to watch in the tent. I also take an LED lantern in addition to my headlamp to light the tent, and am also likely to have a beverage option other than just water. A small fire and packing in a camp chair can be good, and since I'm not really hungry for dinner until after dark when it's getting dark at 5, its a great time to setup the tripod and photograph the sunset and surrounding area. After that I'll take my time with dinner and melting snow for water, which always takes a while, and in getting a hot Nalgene going for the sleeping bag, etc.

I usually have some work to do as well - so I'm also probably writing some on the phone and probably have a few photo tasks. It's a different type of backpacking for sure, and rewarding in its own way. 

• Like 1

I usually still push it even in winter with long days willing to start  in the colder pre dawn and after sunset hrs so less camp time than some others. I like night hiking including during winter which usually brings clear skies great for astronomy. Hiking with snow and ice breaking trail at night is magical to me. Although I'll still cowboy or bivy in winter when conditions allow making for additional celestial TV if I'm tarp or tenting I'll listen to some relaxing Mp3 tunes, study the next day's maps, get a general idea of logistical considerations like next water sources, know food/energy needs, lay out as much as I can for the morning when breaking camp, check   major ascents/descents, fords, do menial gear repair/cleaning, drink something warm, look over my trail journal quotes, write thoughts and notes about the day or recent days,    etc.   

• Like 1

RealestNature

I like to pack some warm clothes and try my best at some astrophotography (emphasis on try lol).  The sky seems so clear on moon-less winter nights.  I usually pack a portable battery charger and watch a quick movie or something on the phone too.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

The dark and the long nights are the greatest challenges. I would gather go in Feb than Dec just because of the difference in daylight. 

The only solution to your question is a good fire.  A lean to shelter with a fire is even better.  I really cannot stand being in a little nylon tent for 14 hours.  Watching movies or listening to music will never be on my radar in the outdoors. 

Choose your winter camping companions carefully and value their ability at converation.  

GW,

I am a retired forester. Let's review.  Backpacking stoves are made from metal that has to be mined and plastic made from petroleum.  They run on fossil fuels.  They use fuel to be transported.  Then there is the problem of disposing of the empty propane cylinders.  You have to carry them. 

A fire is carbon neutral.  The wood releases the same amount of carbon it accumulated in its lifetime.  You do not have to carry anything except fire starter.  You can responsibly remove the evidence of your fire.  No need to move any rocks.  A good cooking fire can be tiny. 

Most forests in the US suffer from accumlated fuel.  Burning dead does not hurt a thing. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about the same. I try to bring a book or something to read if i get bored. Might download a show or two on my phone for viewing when im in my hammock but i normally dont use either. i say i will but i dont. Other than that, i like making fires. I love getting to camp, setting up, and relaxing by a soothing fire. I usually sit near and stare at it till it dies. Sounds a little creepy now that i think about it lol.