How do you carry your DSLR and extra lenses?

Chris Smead

I use something like this https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Holster-Camera-Case-Cameras/dp/B008MWBY6W/ mine is not an amazon brand, but it looks very similar. I put my pack on first and then put the case strap over my left arm and around my neck. It is very easy to get the camera out without removing my pack and it doesn't bounce as much as just carrying the camera.

I have a 18-105 lens that stays on the camera (Nikon D5100) so I don't have to worry about multiple lens.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Welcome to the forum Chris! I like the Multi-Pack from Zpacks (review) ...but like @wspscott I just take one more generalized lens that stays on the camera. During the day most of my photography is on the go however, and I usually only break out the tripod and take more time with it before leaving camp or after arrival for me, so if I did carry any more lenses, I think I'd leave them in my pack, changing them out during those times, and just leave one lens on during the day. The MultiPack has enough room to comfortably carry a more compact DSLR or larger mirrorless camera, along with room for various accessories like filters, a lens pen, etc. - perhaps enough room for a spare lens depending on the camera and lenses, although things might not be as organized as desired.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips so far!   Yeah I was considering the multipack.  Does it feel uncomfortable to hike with it in front like that?

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I find it to actually be quite comfortable and it doesn't bug me at all. I did find that I needed to use all 4 attachment points though, otherwise I did get an annoying bounce on hills. But by resting all the weight on the top 2 straps, then only tightening the bottom 2 straps to just take up the slack - without overtightening - very comfortable and best of all I can now take a larger camera while still having it immediately accessible.

• Like 1

Definitely going to look into these. I've always stored it in a dry bag in my pack and it's seriously a pain to get out on the trail. I am always just paranoid it'll get wet somehow. I like the looks of the peak design clip for the pack straps but a nice chest pack would be way more comfortable. I'm looking to get an Olympus or Panasonic m 4/3 to lighten my load and still have good quality images. What are your Instagram names if you have one, i love to see landscape and trail pictures!

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

The ZPacks solution is waterproof with a highly water resistant zipper...I carry a gallon Ziplock in the bottom for additional rain or stream crossing protection but it's usually not needed. As far as Instagram goes, check out @TrailGroove:)

• Like 1

People seem to love the Peak Design clips, I just did not want to spend that much :)

I post photos and trip reports on my blog backpackandbeer.blogspot.com

• Like 1

I actually have a peak designs clip, but it digs into my shoulder while hiking.  I also have the cotton carrier which is much more comfortable. Granted I only use it for a GoPro.

I was worried that hanging a DSLR off that all day might put it at risk for breakage, dirt, etc.   Any thoughts on that?  Am I being paranoid?

• Premium Member

I use a Cotton Carrier camera harness  https://www.cottoncarrier.com/collections/camera-vests/products/ccs-camera-vest-1 which allows you to carry a camera on your chest and quickly get it up to eye level. It fits nicely under the backpack straps and back ventilation panel.  I've added a couple of extra pouches for filters and an extra lens or two, which I put either on my backpack hip belt, sternum strap, or on the camera harness, or some combination depending on what I need for the particular hike.  If I take a tripod, it's usually strapped to the backpack, tho' I have on occasion put it in a belt-mounted holder like carpenters use for hammers.