How do you carry your DSLR and extra lenses?

Chris Smead

For those of you who use the zPacks multipack, can you fit a camera with a decent sized lens still attached?  

Also, how do you keep things padded in there?  Bubble wrap?  Foam?

• Premium Member

Chris, I have not had any issues with my DSLR hanging off my Cotton Carrier, except once when I slid belly-first down a rock slope (long story...tried to climb up a 45 degree rock slope with no rope and not enough hand holds where other people apparently have been able to climb - a rock climber I am not!), even then the damage was limited to superficial. The camera stayed on the Carrier through about 20 feet of sliding on it.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

You can fit a medium sized camera and lens in the MultiPack comfortably. Check out the photo on page 93 in the review for a Nalgene size comparison. I don't add any padding - most of these cameras are pretty durable in my experience and in the position that it's stored in, it remains well protected (Situations like @SteveSpidey's aside!) - would use the bottom straps for sure. Just make sure to actually zip the MultiPack shut, as unfortunately I've learned from experience things will of course fall out and all bets are off of course in that situation. :) 

Also in regards to the other concern - in addition to rain, the MultiPack also does do a great job of keeping dust and sand away from the camera which I have found to be a concern on many trips - so that's definitely often a huge help as well.

• Premium Member

Here I am with the Cotton Carrier, plus a couple of added pouched for extra lenses (the camera was not on, since it was busy taking the picture).  With the CC, however, everything is exposed to the world.  I think I'll pick up a zPack to protect things more when I don't need the camera at the ready (I usually put it inside the top of my backpack).  The CC is also good for mountain biking since it holds the camera in close to the chest. 

Bisti_(by_Joel)_(121).jpg

Hi Chris, I've been very happy using Mountainsmith camera bags.  I've got a Tour FX lumbar pack with strapettes that can carry more than I need most days and then I use the Descent AT with the shoulder harness (like a backpack in the front).  The Descent keeps the camera within easy access and will hold an additional lens. Sometimes I will even sit the camera on top of the bag ready to use if the hiking is easy.  I usually hike with a 55-300 lens on the camera to catch wildlife and a wide angle in the pack for landscapes.  Picture below is at the end of the hike so I've loosened up the straps to cool off.   If you're interested you can check out my work at: https://www.viewbug.com/member/BearMesaPhoto

FH 10

Chris Smead

So after some experimenting with shoulder mounts and hip belts, I think I'm learning that I value easy access, less bulk, comfort and protection.  In that order. 

The zpacks multipack, and cotton carrier chest mount seem like potential solutions. 

My camera (a7rii w/ 16/35 mm) is 3lbs.   Will that be pushing the weight limit of the multipack?

And if I opted for the cotton carrier vest instead, how do you keep it protected from the elements?  I'm mostly concerned about trail dust constantly getting on the lens and sensor.   

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I carry about 2.5 - 3lbs in the MultiPack and haven't had any issues with that weight. I'm pretty picky about dust / sand / dirt on my lens (perhaps hence the MultiPack) ... and I find that the best approach is to keep from having to clean things in the first place. I always carry a small rocket blaster and a Lens Pen, which work really well together when needed though.