Review: Sea to Summit eVent Compression Dry Sack

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Tents, sleeping bags, and backpacks are the primary pieces of gear that tend to preoccupy backpackers. This focus is certainly appropriate, as these pieces of equipment can certainly make or break a trip if they don’t perform as needed or fit properly. I spent an inordinate amount of time researching these items when I first got into backpacking and thought of many of the “accessories”, such as stuff sacks, were simply gimmicky add-ons that I could postpone purchasing or forego altogether. This worked well for my first few years of backpacking...

@Mark reviews this organization and compression option from Sea to Summit - check out the full review below in Issue 32:

Sea to Summit eVent Dry Sack Review

Sea to Summit eVent Compression Dry Stuff Sack Review.JPG

Issue 32 Page 1

I've been using this compression sack for my clothes when backpacking.  It's worked great for the past 5 years.  I really should get one for my sleeping bag, but I've never had any issues with it getting wet in my backpack.  Great product!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
annoutdoors

I hesitate to use compression sacks for my down bag or clothes because of spacing issues. My sleeping bag fits better and plays well with other gear if it's cylindrical shaped rather than circular/oval. A "soccer ball" shape in my bag just seems to leave too much unused space around it. I just came off a very wet 4 day trip in which everything was wet except my sleeping bag and sleeping clothes. Well, actually my sleeping bag was wet on the back sleeve and at the feet due to tent failure. I keep my bag in its manufacturer provided, very thin stuff sack, which allows the moisture to escape and allows for mashing it into the crannies of my pack. Seems to work okay.

Does the "soccer ball" work for others?

• Premium Member
Mark Wetherington

For the most part, I am able to achieve a more cylindrical than soccer ball effect, but some of that is a function of the size of the bag and the size of the sack. I've been able to make it "play nice" with my other gear and don't seem to end up too much wasted space, at least not enough to really concern me.

Sounds like you found a system that works well for you. I guess I just have always erred on the side of keeping the bag in a waterproof stuck sack to make sure that even if everything else is wet, it has a decent shot at staying dry (tent condensation aside).