Backpacking Olympic National Park - Royal Basin

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I stood, breathless and exhausted, on the top of the divide, looking down at the pristine and untrailed cirque that lay ahead. My route bared before me, for a moment continuing on across the three passes that lay ahead seemed achievable. Then my eyes lifted to the glaciated massif of 7,600-foot Mount Mystery on the opposite wall of the basin, and my shaking legs sent an unmistakable message: I would make it no further. I had set out solo the day before from the Dungeness River Trailhead, in the northeast corner of Olympic National Park, with an ambitious loop planned. My goal was to enter Royal Basin via a high traverse and then trek cross-country beyond the basin through...

In Issue 32, @mgraw recounts this scenic backpacking trip in Olympic National Park - read the full story below:

Steep Defeat: Traversing Royal Basin, Olympic National Park

Backpacking Royal Basin Olympic National Park.JPG

Issue 32 Page 1

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

I am also doing a loop trip up into Deception basin via Heather Creek and Royal Basin this summer. I saw the beautiful pic you posted of the upper Deception Basin and the milky lake in the basin with the article.  I would love to get more info on your route and pics if possible. Is there a way to message you?

4 hours ago, eaglecadd said:

I am also doing a loop trip up into Deception basin via Heather Creek and Royal Basin this summer. I saw the beautiful pic you posted of the upper Deception Basin and the milky lake in the basin with the article.  I would love to get more info on your route and pics if possible. Is there a way to message you?

I'm on Instagram @wanderingsolestudios if you want to send me a PM there. That said, I didn't actually make it into Deception Basin so I can't offer much beta on the tarn down there. If you take the standard Royal Basin trail the pass from Royal into Deception is pretty do-able scrambling.