Mt Leconte (Smokies NP)

wspscott

My family went to FL and I went to the Smokies. The forecast was cold but no rain and it looked like it wasn't going to be cloudy so hopefully I could get some sunrise, sunsets and stars. I decided to check out a very popular part of the park (Mt. Leconte) in the hopes that winter would keep a lot of the people away.

I hiked up the Alum Cave Trail (one of the most popular in the park) and did not see too many people. Unfortunately, the clouds set in and I did not see too much else either. I did get to see a bear on top of Leconte which is always cool, but could not get my camera out quick enough.

The Alum Cave Trail follows a typical smokies creek for a mile or so, there is a reason it is popular.

2017-01-26+10.47.00.jpg

leconte186bw.JPG

It then heads up the mountain to Alum Cave (not really a cave) where there is a great view.

2017-01-26+11.54.10.jpg

Not much higher and I was in the clouds, but the frost was very pretty

2017-01-27+09.33.03.jpg

I got to the top quick enough that I headed down another trail to find a waterfall. Twin Falls is about 1000 feet below the summit on the Trillium Gap Trail.

leconte135.JPG

More clouds the next morning, I clearly wasn't going to see big mountain views.

leconte154.JPG

I decided to head back to the car and do a little day hiking. Rainbow Falls is a very popular day hike destination when the weather is nice (summer), but there weren't too many people this day and I got to enjoy to falls by myself

leconte282bw.JPG

Creek next to the trail

leconte227bw.JPG

Burned tree from the Chimney Tops fire that also got part of Gatlinburg

leconte244.JPG

A good way to spend a couple of days.

More detail/photos here https://backpackandbeer.blogspot.com/2017/02/mt-leconte.html

• Like 1

Great pictures! Looks like a nice hike, I used to live in Tennessee but I didn't get a chance to visit much of the eastern parts. I really like the photo of the frost and the waterfall under that one. The colors look beautiful 

2 hours ago, aguerra.1993 said:

Great pictures! Looks like a nice hike, I used to live in Tennessee but I didn't get a chance to visit much of the eastern parts. I really like the photo of the frost and the waterfall under that one. The colors look beautiful 

Eastern Tennessee is beautiful, lots of great hiking. Glad you liked the pics.