Hello from Hoosierland

Indy

Just found this site, so I think I'll browse around a little.  I've got a bit of experience, hiking and backpacking into the grand canyon, smoky mountains, and rocky mountains, as well as all over Indiana.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Welcome to the forum! Was able to spend a couple nights out in the Deam Wilderness several years ago and thought it was a pretty interesting area to explore.

• Premium Member
Mark Wetherington

Welcome! I grew up in Louisville, KY and lived in Kentucky until 2014 . . . did a lot of backpacking in the Red River Gorge and the Smokies as well as parts of the Hoosier National Forest (specifically Hemlock Cliffs when backpacking was allowed, heard they banned it recently).

Oddly enough, my longest backpacking trip to date (only 5 nights) was in the Deam Wilderness. Definitely a neat place to explore, especially off-trail . . . we stumbled onto a cemetery that wasn't marked on the map and that was actually a bit spooky.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I liked Deam and found it to be an interesting place to explore offtrail as well, and like you ran into some old and unexpected signs of a time gone by. Even though it was fairly busy on the trail system it was interesting to head of into the woods following compass bearings - remote with a historical feel all at the same time. You must of had some pretty extensive exploring on a 5 day trip!