A bit rusty...prepping for upcoming hikes...

Yankee

Post Edit: The question at the end, if you want to skip all the fluff, is a request for help in regards to upper body clothing.

If you don't mind the read, here ya go:

Other than my intro thread, this is my first post here. Figured this was a good place to start.

In April, I'm heading to Oregon to meet up with a buddy of mine. We're going to tackle Mt. Thielsen one day (minus the spire - no thanks) and have yet to finalize a particular hike for the other day.

I've been out of the game for a while, so I've been assembling gear. I'm probably going in a bit gear-heavy and will have no use for some of the stuff I'm bringing for a day hike, but still want to field test what I have and just get a feel for it.

So far, I've compiled the following:

Teton Talus 2700 backpack

Platypus Big Zip 3l hydration bladder

Petzl Aktic headlamp

SOGfari kukri

Morakniv Kansbol

Fiskars X11 hatchet

Luminox Recon Point Man watch

Sawyer mini filter

La Sportiva Eco 2.0 shoes

Wool hat

Spare cell phone battery 

Spare headlight batteries

Stuff I'm borrowing from my go-bag:

Paracord

Kevlar string

Gorilla tape

Emergency blankets

Waterproof matches

Cotton balls rubbed w/petroleum jelly

Aquatabs water purification tablets

On my list of things to get:

REI first aid kit

Darn Tough socks

Considering:

Marmot Precip jacket (?)

Upper body clothing (?)

i wear Keen Voaygeur's for my everyday shoes. They're really comfortable and I considered wearing those, but they're basically the non-waterproof version of the Targhee's. Thus the purchase of the La Sportivas mentioned above. Almost got the Targhee's, but read so many good things about the La Sportiva that I thought I'd give them a try.

Other than those shoes, I don't really have any 'hike specific' clothing to speak of. Temps look like they'll range from the low 50's (trailhead area) to the high 20's (Mt. Thielsen). My plan was to wear my Duluth (rugged but comfortable, lots of pockets) fire hose pants. I don't think I'll need thermals but may bring some. It's more the upper body stuff I could use help with I guess. Base layer, etc.

Long post, sorry. A lot of it is probably to help me make sure I'm covering everything. But if anyone has recommendations for upper body clothing, I'm all ears. 

Thanks for reading and for any responses!

Looking at your list, my first impression is to agree with your assessment that you are a bit gear heavy, but I'm not going to say you are wrong in anything you have listed.  My way of packing is to grab my stuff, lay it out and walk away for a few hours, then go look back at it and say, "do I really need all of this?".  I usually cull some things out.

The one thing that I would suggest, although I might have missed it in your post, is a good multi-tool.  I have a Leatherman Wave, myself, and carry it almost daily, not just on hikes.

I personally prefer a lighter to waterproof matches, but that's a personal choice.

Hope this helps.

10 hours ago, jay said:

Looking at your list, my first impression is to agree with your assessment that you are a bit gear heavy, but I'm not going to say you are wrong in anything you have listed.  My way of packing is to grab my stuff, lay it out and walk away for a few hours, then go look back at it and say, "do I really need all of this?".  I usually cull some things out.

The one thing that I would suggest, although I might have missed it in your post, is a good multi-tool.  I have a Leatherman Wave, myself, and carry it almost daily, not just on hikes.

I personally prefer a lighter to waterproof matches, but that's a personal choice.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the response, Jay. A multi-tool is definitely a good idea. I'm definitely heavy on gear for a day bike but want to carry it all just to acclimate myself, test my stamina, see if I can add or if I should take away, etc. Will add my USMC sleeping bag too, I guess. Should probably get a compression sack for that. 

Ordered the Marmot Precip today. Can't really think of a whole lot more to get. 

I missed the part where this was an acclimation trek.  Your list did strike me more as a long range set up than for a day hike.  Hope it goes well for you.

• 1 year later...

Go lighter. Leave the blades except for a small pocket knife at home.  Don't bring more clothes than you can wear all at one time. 

• 3 months later...

I got Darn Tough socks for a trip across Isle Royale. Blisters the first day that got worse throughout the hike. Got advice from another hiker and am trying out Injinji socks this year. Good luck on the trail. 

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

That’s interesting. I’ve had the opposite experience with Darn Tough - with the right shoes I haven’t had a blister since I started wearing them. Just goes to show how much the best shoe / sock combo can vary from person to person.