Photography

Korey

I've seen lots of photography tips thread, but I couldn't find one to just talk about photography in general. So do we have any photographers on here? Do you do freelance work, have a studio, or just as a hobby/for fun? What kind of equipment do you shoot on? What are some of your favorite outdoors places/subjects to photograph?

Discuss...

This is something that I want to get into. As my point-n-shoot can't always do what I want it to. Sigh...but for right now it's just a wish list. I have set my eye on a camera, now to save my pennies.

Almost all of my pics are nature themed and rarely involve people. Currently my poin&shoot is a Olympus TG-4. It has some great features such as live composite and a super macro. I mainly bought it so I can pictures in the rain when I'm backpacking. I almost ruined my last camera doing that.

I want to get the Olympus OM-D E-M1. The unfortunate part now is that I'll probably have to find a used one as they no longer make them since the Mark II came out and there is just no way right now I could dream of springing for the Mark II version.

aguerra.1993

I like photography as well, I do it as a hobby. I have a Canon t3i and I lug around a Sirui tripod. The setup is kind of heavy at around 5-6 lbs and I am looking to get a new camera. I don't plan on becoming a pro photographer but I have toyed with the idea of upgrading cameras to an Olympus EM5 Mk II or EM1, or possibly a Fuji XT1. I like the idea of m4/3 because of the smaller lenses. Lately I have been much more of a backpacker than a photographer and have considered getting a decent small camera that can shoot raw. I used to be primarily into photography and hiking long miles was way less important but now my priorities have shifted and I have gotten way more into UL backpacking and trying to hike long miles.

Both the EM5 and the EM1 is water resistant event the lenses. My little TG-4 does raw but I haven't played around with it much. Because of work I can get Lightroom at a substantial discount. Maybe it's time I start. I probably could have gotten into a better camera sooner if I didn't have my eyes set so high. I just don't want to regret my purchase.

aguerra.1993

Yeah I am really into the weather-sealed cameras. The Panasonic G85 is also really nice and you have the perk of 4K video if you do any of that. I think it'd be cool to do some filming but realistically I get way too bored sitting around camp and it's the reason I want to hike much more. It's probably better to have your eyes set high than to regret a purchase. I've been wanting to upgrade for quite some time now, about 3 years or so and so I never bothered buying the T3i a nice quality lens out of fear that I would get a new camera and it'd be a waste of money. The stock lens isn't great but I think I've taken some pretty good photos with it. I use my 50mm 1.8 (that I got for free) whenever possible though because the quality is much better, and that's just a $100 lens. I can imagine a very nice lens would boost the IQ by much more. 

• 3 months later...

I shoot on a Sony a6000 and love it. It's compact enough that I can take it backpacking without it being to bulky or heavy, and I have a couple zoom (16-50 and 55-210) lenses that allow me to get some great close ups and wide angle shots. My only worry with it is that it's not weather sealed, but I haven't experienced any issues so far, and I just got a waterproof housing for it that I'm super excited to use for some underwater shots on my trip to the Boundary Waters next month. 

Personally I do photography as a hobby and have had some of my photos used by different outdoor organizations, and I run a site (korcreate.com) to showcase some of my work along with my writing.