I'm getting out this weekend! (Much needed...)

Stick

I am finally able to get out again this coming weekend. It has been middle of October since my last real outing... the holidays put a hold on hiking, but family time is well too!

Anyway, me and about 4 or 5 other friends (new & old) will be doing a short (16 mile) hike this weekend along the AT in north GA. And it can't get here fast enough, although, I guarantee that it will end too quickly.

Anyway, here is a video of me packing up the gear I will be taking on the hike:

However, it looks like the weather will be warmer than expected, so I may be changing my Helium out for a 35 F rated Enlightened Equipment Prodigy quilt. Of course though, I will still have my down pants and parka to supplement the quilt if need be. I dunno for sure just yet though, it is still a few days out, so I will keep an eye on the forecast and decide closer to go-time!

Also, here is a link to my gear list:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aqh886ycFM9kdFM4d2g0MUF5LWZUOXdoSmlMWW1VV 0E#gid=0

Have a great time. (Of course you will). For me, I'll live vicariously through your posts as it's a white world now where I live.

Me too! Much needed! Me and a buddy (user name Jason on here) are actually gonna be on a 16 mile hike on the AT in north ga this weeked. Maybe we're gonna be at the same place? We're leaving Unicoi and ending up at Dicks. If that's what you and your buddies are doing would you be interested in a couple more in your group?

• Premium Member

Have fun, Stick! And JasonByers & Jason! Let us know how the hike goes.

We are like TollerMom here, covered in snow (high today about 15 degrees!), and we have to live vicariously through your trip reports for now...

It was a chilly 12 deg. at the trailhead this AM; sunny day warmed up to 24 in the afternoon.

Hiked the south shore of a local lake today with Maximus as usual, today taking along our new foster Newf Max. So yes, hike included both Maximus and Max. See photo.

post-135-143508713904_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gary M
spelling correction

• Premium Member

Gary, glad it "warmed up" to 24 for you haha... looks like your hiking partners enjoyed themselves.

Jason, it may have been soggy hiking, but the fog in the mountains makes for nice photos.

Thanks for posting the pictures - I'm looking forward to trip reports :)

Jen,

You are so right that Newfies are great hike partners.

It may not be as cold here as out West, but don't forget Kansas is named after the Kansa American Indians (the people of the South wind)...With so few trees (and no mountains) in Kansas there's nothing to stop that cold wind!