Charles Deam Wilderness/Patton Cave

thriftyhiker

thriftyhiker

I'm wanting to go check out Patton Cave in the Charles Deam Wilderness in Hoosier NF, but it's been several years since I've been there so my memory is a bit hazy.  There are several campsites on the west shoreline of the peninsula, however, the forest department's map doesn't show any trails leading to these sites.  Does anyone know if there are trials leading to these, or are they only accessed by boat?  I was wanting to hit the cave and then continue a bit north along the shoreline and camp at one of the sites.  

I've linked to the map I was referencing.  

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsbdev3_017286.pdf

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Welcome to the forum thrifthiker, has been a while since I explored Deam but I don't recall any significant navigation issues in the peninsula area from my trip there, it's a pretty confined area with the main peninsula trail leading through it, and the entire peninsula is only about a mile wide at the widest point. Plus you can camp anywhere as long as you're 100 feet from water / a trail (excluding designated sites that might be closer). I would imagine that if you were targeting a specific marked site, it shouldn't be too hard to find by way of some quick offtrail / use trail exploration.

Let us know how the trip goes!