what crampon/boot grade are the Trango trk

matsdelos

matsdelos

I've been wondering how well the Trango trk boots deal with crampons and I can't find an answer anywhere.

I want to use them for a tahoe rim trail hike and I think I may have to do a lot of snow field crossings possibly with crampons.

The Trango TRK will work well with strap-on crampons. A good article - http://besthiking.net/best-five-crampons-c1-2014/

There are other lightweight crampons available that would be fine on the Tahoe Rim Trail as long as they are real crampons that strap on securely - Microspikes are not real crampons and you shouldn't bet you life on them. I wouldn't want aluminum crampons on a real mountain, but think they would be fine for icy trails like early-season PCT. Find some gear stores that sell them and try them on if possible. You'll see big differences between crampons when you try them on.

Edited by toejam

It's Kahtoola Microspikes I was talking about. I recently read an article, which has disappeared from the internet, that convinced me I didn't want microspikes because they stretch and the points roll out from under your feet when traversing perpendicular to a slope. In the same conditions the points of strap-on crampons stayed securely under the guy's feet, so he concluded the crampons were much safer. Obviously John B hasn't experienced the issue.

I've never used microspikes - my experience is with semi-automatic 12-point crampons on Cascade volcanoes and Mt. Whitney. My friend who hiked the PCT last year said he and most other PCT hikers use Microspikes. He said crampons would have been better in the afternoons because the little points of the Microspikes weren't long enough to bite through the layer of slush.

So I'm backing off of my overly-dramatic comment about betting your life on Microspikes - lots of people use them with success. I'll never use them. Bad things happen really quickly on icy slopes.

I should make clear that I typically use microspikes in less steep terrain or mixed terrain.  If faced with steep icy slopes, I have always used 12-point crampons (black diamond sabertooths)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Really like my Microspikes, easy to use, light, and the traction even on solid sloped ice is really impressive. Personally I wouldn't rely on them in a situation where a slip or failure would result in much more than a bruised ego, though. Also have the Kahtoola K10:

https://www.rei.com/product/838971/kahtoola-k-10-hiking-crampons

...but generally when possible I opt for the less technical routes. Less stuff to carry!