Hello From Stick's Blog

Stick

I guess I should have done a hello thread before posting...oh well, better late than never huh?

Anyway, My name is Chad but I go by Stick on the trail. This was not a trail name that has been given to me on the trail, but it is one that everyone on the trail knows me by.

My wife and I hiked out on our very first hike back in September of 2009. We hiked from the visitor center at Amicalola Falls to Neels Gap. We were total newbs and our packs showed it, granted her pack was a little better off than mine... My HUGE kelty Red Cloud 5600 was packed out with 56+ pounds, and as if this were not enough, I also picked up items other hikers left behind on the trail... My wifes Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian Ki was packed out with 31 lbs, which was 1/3 of her weight!

Despite our heavy loads, we did enjoy ourselves and were determined to get back out...although with somewhat lighter packs if possible... So, I started feeding the fire.

Being from Mississippi, there is not much here for us to gather from. No real trails, or gear shops...so we have to drive or do everything online. I had already been a member of Backpacker.com but then ended up joining about 4 or 5 other forums, not too mention visiting a number of blogs. In fact, this is what lead me to starting up my own blog, aptly named....

Sticks Blog

My blog started out as more of a "live" journal that I could share with others as well as have full access to anywhere I had the internet, but in the long run I feel like it has turned into a little more than that...

Anyway, in the process I have severely cut weight from my pack, and in the process I have managed to become more comfortable obviously while I am hiking the trail, but even so while in camp. This has been a great victory for me and I am very happy with the results. My pack & contents are now primarily made up of cuben fiber, alcohol stoves and downy goodness... Now, during our Southeast winters, my base pack weight is between 9 & 10 lbs and will keep me comfortable to 10 F. My summer base weight is between 5 - 6 lbs. Sweet!

Typically when I head to the trail, I am heading to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park or to do a small section of the AT (usually somewhere in GA, TN or NC). However, if this is too far away then I am heading to some of the local State Parks or to Sipsey Wilderness. I rarely do much solo hiking so for the most part I can be found with either friends or family while on the trail.

It is a goal of mine to thru hike the Appalachian Trail, at least once. However, due to family, finances as well as being unsure if I will be able to be away from my family for that long, it will be a couple of years before I can actually make that happen...until then I plan to fill my little head with as much info as possible... :)

There are also some other trails that I would like to hike, namely the Wonderland Trail, the John Muir Trail and the Colordo Trail. As well, I would really like to do parts of (if not all one day) the PCT and the CDT... As you can tell, there are a number of trails that I would love to hike...but don't we all?

So, this is pretty much me in a nut shell. Thanks to Aaron for getting this site going and giving us backpacking nuts another place to hang out!

Edited by Stick
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Stick,

Thanks again for stopping by. I had never heard of Sipsey before, looks like an interesting place / perfect weekend destination.

Aaron, Sipsey is a fun place, and it is not extremely far away from me...only about 1.5 hours or so. I am hoping to get a trip out there in the next few weeks...it is good to get away some times... :)