....After the hike

Jason

I want a beer and burger after a backpacking trip (mostly because I'm usually with Scouts and alcohol is verboten). Make that two beers! And chocolate!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bobo Uzala

• Jason

• Aaron Zagrodnick

• AdventureMyk

AdventureMyk

Jen, depending on the age of the scouts it might be verboten but it's also a right of passage. If you ask around nicely I'm sure they have something to warm you from the inside while the camp fire does the outside. :) It's amazing what they can carry that parents aren't supposed to know about... <grin>

That's so true, Myk. A couple of years ago I led a crew of Scouts and Venturers on a backpacking trip to Philmont Scout Ranch. One of the scouts had a football in his pack! Talk about a non-essential item...well, he had to carry it and his share of the crew gear for the rest of the trip but it was fine.

That's so true, Myk. A couple of years ago I led a crew of Scouts and Venturers on a backpacking trip to Philmont Scout Ranch. One of the scouts had a football in his pack! Talk about a non-essential item...well, he had to carry it and his share of the crew gear for the rest of the trip but it was fine.

HikerJen;;;;

I loved to hear of your BSA Philmont experience! I think it would probably make an interesting TrailGroove article if you are ever interested in writing about it. Philmont is a great place to introduce youth to the real outdoors. Unfortunately, I was not able to visit, but twice I headed up a group at SeaBase, where you are at Munson Island for a week. Our first trip was topped off with a day in Key West. It was spring break, St. Pats Day, imagine that day with nine teenagers! Most of them had never even seen the ocean before, and Key West was wild. My two sons still talk about those two trips! Heck my youngest still wears the island style sandals he bought.

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas

Most of my hiking trips are UL long distance or thru-hikes sometimes of 3000 miles or more doing moderately paced but often long daily duration 25+mile days. Having an UL kit also includes my on trail food being UL in terms of wt but having about up to a 55% fat content in regard to total daily. One of things I quickly learned I had to do on hikes was manage my daily food consumption MUCH BETTER than I had off trail. This may sound strange but I realized in some ways I was addicted to food(especially for changing my emotions!, ie; they way I felt emotionally) and this overly satiated feeling. I was obtaining the satiated feeling off trail by eating large amounts of food often in single meals or consuming rather poor nutritional foods sometimes that were highly refined, highly processed, high in sugars(especially artificial sweeteners) in large amounts. The types of food choices I was making off and on trail weren't as nutrient dense, fiber rich, or as "alive"(living foods) as they are currently. I also realized I wasn't drinking enough water(just clean clear backcountry water) - as much as I currently am. Changing these things, coupled with my body becoming a better fat burner and energy user the deeper into a hike I get, the less hungry and more satiated I feel on long hikes. On long distance hikes I'm more aware of my caloric needs now and are constantly making adjustments if I find my energy levels/caloric needs not up to par. I don't starve myself on the trail although I may lose up to 15 lbs of my regular(off trail) body wt of 195-200 lbs on a 2000+ mile hike as someone who is somewhat normally lean. I say all this because these days when I come off hikes - day hikes, hikes of 300 miles or less, and 2000+miles I don't usually have my mind on food. I now have a different relationship with consuming food previous to doing my first long distance hike although in the first two months of that first long distance hike food and pain(inflammation) were foremost on my mind. These days I don't reach for food simply as a way to change my emotions! I no longer feel the necessity to have an overly satiated feeling. I find it ironic that here in the U.S. we say things like "I'm starving" just because we haven't eaten a huge meal in six hrs or perhaps even more alarming I hear that from people obviously over weight.

I want a beer and burger after a backpacking trip (mostly because I'm usually with Scouts and alcohol is verboten). Make that two beers! And chocolate!

HikerJen - I've tried to corrupt a number of Scout Leaders with refreshing "spirits", only to always be denied. But I'd certainly join you for 2 beers, no make that 3! - off the trail and off duty. Chocolate?!? before, during, and after!!!

• 1 month later...
Outdoorsmom76

Isn't it funny how being hungry makes almost anything sound good? After my last trip I stopped in at the only gas station in a small town and they had the most awesome tenderloin sandwich. I'm a born n raised hoosier, so I look for tenderloin everywhere I go. A good sammi is the the best.

Nothing like a good tenderloin sammi! We once had some hikers meet up with us at the half way point with Dunkin' Donuts "Box of Joe" and a bunch of donuts - we didn't waste anytime packing up for the meet that morning. Several times, I've been able to stash a cooler or two at halfway spots filled with spare ribs, steaks, salmon, and perhaps more importantly... cold beverages! Oops, did I just go off topic?

Hi Mary!