Possible to Backpack to The Narrows (Top/Down) Trailhead

DonnieHockey

DonnieHockey

Hello everyone, thanks in advance for helping me out.

A friend and I would like to see if there is a way to Backpack into The Narrows Top-Down trail. We have booked a campsite in the Narrows for the 2nd night of our entire backpacking trip (3 days, 2 nights) and would really like to find a way to camp somewhere near The Narrows Top-Down Trailhead to make it a nice flow.

I have attached a picture of what I was thinking we could pull off, and below is a bullet point of schedule.

Thursday: Hike from Spruces Campground down "The Saddle" hill, then walk the North Fork County Rd, until we hit the North Folk Virgin River, find a place to camp for Thursday Night

Friday: Hike to The Narrows Top/Down Trailhead and continue hiking until we reach our Reserved Campsite

Saturday: Hike the remainder of The Narrows Top/Down

Is this possible?

Thank you for all the help!

Donnie

Sketch.png

DonnieHockey

Really looking for some advice on how to backpack into The Narrows, or if it is not possible, looking for that answer as well!

Please help!

I don't understand exactly what you anticipate. However, one ambitious fall on a solo trip I walked up Echo Canyon to the East Rim Tr to the East Entrance, a short walk on HWY 9 to the North Fork RD junction, and up the length of North Fork Rd(in as much as 18" of pow) to Chamberlains Ranch TH to get to the North Fork of the Virgin River, doning a 3 mm wet suit, and hiking the Narrows(TopDown ?) back to Zion Lodge. Zion NP was empty with but two others at the main CG. Rangers thought I was nuts making me sign off on being responsible for the costs of a S&R, checking every piece of gear I owned, making me watch a safety film, and several grilling me for a full 30 mins before issuing a permit. They made me agree to checking back in letting them know I wasn't dead. The Virgin River was 56*. It was a long walk on N Fork Rd. I'd suggest you arrange a shuttle for N Fork Rd or have two cars to get you to the TH I used if this is what you were asking.   

Upon getting back alive I went through it all again  arranging for a permit from Zion lodge up the West Rim Tr to Lava Pt in up to 24" of pow anticipating going out Wildcat Canyon and dropping into The Subway(w/ 3 mm wet suit and ropes) but had to abort at Lava Pt because an animal got into my food bag contaminating the food with the going tedious with no trail to really follow since the snowpack. At Kolob Terrace Rd  there was 2 ft plus packed snow but snowmobilers heading back from Kolob reservoir rode me back to about the Wildcat TH where the snow waqs almost gone wher I then walked back to the lodge. That was a GRRREAT trip. Really felt I was alive.

Although I don't know much about it I think I've heard of some with technical canyoneering skills heading up Orderville Canyon. I don't know how far you can go though.

One more thing. Rangers have told me they successfully hunt mountain lions up near Chaberlain Ranch on property adjacent to the NP.