Dinosaur Valley State Park and Fossil Rim Wildlife Preserve - Glen Rose, Texas

jay

The family and I went to Texas recently to visit relatives there.  We managed to take the opportunity to visit 2 places that have always been on my list but not something I wanted to do alone, if that makes any sense.  These areas are located near Glen Rose, TX, and it surprised me at how well maintained they are for being pretty much off the beaten path.  These parks are only about 10 miles apart, but I recommend dedicating a day each to them, given the heat during most of the year.

Pics below, hope you enjoy.  I have lots more, feel free to ask any questions you want regarding these areas.

Dinosaur Valley is somewhere you would need to visit in the peak of summer, unfortunately, as most of the tracks are in the riverbed.  Water level was still just a bit high when we were there so could not get the best shots of all of the tracks.

Fossil Rim has over 300 species of animals from all over the world, including both black and white rhinos.  We opted for the guided tour, riding in the tour vehicle as opposed to taking our own through the park, thereby avoiding any scratches, dents or other awkwardness.  Some of the animals have some pretty impressive antlers.

016.JPG

017.JPG

020.JPG

023.JPG

024.JPG

007.JPG

015.JPG

DSCN2143.JPG

DSCN2151.JPG

DSCN2149.JPG

DSCN2170.JPG

DSCN2170.JPG

DSCN2182.JPG

DSCN2195.JPG

DSCN2205.JPG

DSCN2225.JPG

DSCN2250.JPG

DSCN2244.JPG

DSCN2155.JPG

DSCN2262.JPG

• Like 2

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Thanks for the report, spent some time camping and hiking in Dinosaur Valley State Park as a kid, brings back some memories!

I lived there in glen rose for a couple of years, never went at the time.  Was surprised at what i missed that was right in my backyard.  lesson learned!

• Like 1

Even my surly 17 year old daughter liked it. :).  I take that back, she's a great kid.  She loves the outdoors as much as I do and is extremely low maintenance.  I lucked out.

It reinforced to me not to take places that are practically in your backyard for granted.  I plan on looking deeper into some of the smaller parks near where I live to see what might be found.