Trip to the US early spring 2018

krudtkarla

Hello Everybody

We are going to Was DC for a wedding in the early spring of 2018. (flying in from Scandinavia)  

After the wedding we would like to take a week or so hiking some where // and i like to flyfish as well - we have already been to Montana/Wyoming & Maine. loved it there!

Where would you go to explore the nature, maybe some where not as common as Montana but still with great nature? The tricky part is that we are travling with our 1year old daugther so the fligth from DC has to be reasonably short as we dont want to take another massive fligth.. We can't take our gear on the plane so we are think of having a base and doing one day tracks 

Hope you have some ideas 

• 1 month later...

While I've not been many places in the US outside of Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont; West Virginia boasts some fantastic sights to see and will be super close to you in DC.  I plan on hitting some winter camping near the Black River in West Virginia on my drive home.

Sorry I cant be of more help and I hope this sets you in an okay direction for research!

Max

Do you have criteria for what you define as a "reasonably short" flight from D.C.? There is plenty that you can see and hike within the greater D.C. area if you're willing to drive a few hours.

The Appalachian Trail runs through that area so if you want to do some short section hikes there's plenty to choose from in nearby Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania along with a plethora of historic sites, if history is something that interests you. If you rent a car then you can take your gear and perhaps extend your trip.

• 1 month later...

Many national parks near DC, including Shenandoah National Park, Whiteoak Canyon, Catoctin Mountain Park, Prince William Forest Park have wilderness accommodations that allow you to have your wild trip for a short time. It depends on your wishes. 

Edited by jensaito