New to the Forum

ladybigfoot

i am new to forum, but long time camper,hiker....age 72. i experienced 2 bad experiences in 2012 ...camped legally on campground in tent, weather cold,windy..i was fine. i camped at days of 76 camp in deadwood,sd..ive camped there several summers, wanted snow camp..paid my rent..staff knew i was there...office closed in winter,but staff goes there to collect rent and mail. nov 22, nite, a woman comes by to see if i am ok. i said i am fine and warm. she hurries off and before i could stop her says she and co worker are going to find me a room ???!!! about 30 min later..about 9pm, here comes a city cop and sheriff deputy. asked me to come out of tent..why? i paid rent. i came out. they said i had to leave. why? because we will get annoying calls all night from people worrying about you. deputy took me to a motel i often stay at. had to leave tent and gear for pick up next am. cost 60$ cab fare to retrieve stuff,then cab back to spearfish.i did get refund for that night from campground for my tent space. i have sent message to city and county to reimburse me for cab fare. so far, no response. similar in new mexico. caballo lake. a couple in rv invited me to stay with them. stopped rangers from putting me out. anybody on forum know any seniors with similar problems?

Ladybigfoot,

First welcome to the Trailgroove forum!

Are you saying they made you move simply because they felt that a 72 year old person could not camp at that location when perhaps a younger person could? Was this simply age discrimination or were others treated the same way that day?

Have to run, I'm burning daylight hike time!

Gary M

i had camped at that place..days of 76 campground in deadwood,sd..for at least 3 summers..not entire summer. but fairly well known in deadwood. staff knows me well. this was with some snow on ground,but not much. not very cold, but i know how to do tent so i am quite warm inside. i use tarps,plastic under and over, and if heavy cardboard available, (i got some out of nearby dumpster) i put that underneath tent also. this happened after dark,nov 22, 2012. apparently it got around town that i was camped there. usually one or 2 rv'ers there also. some people just dont know how to tend to their own business. the woman who stopped by tent should have respected me enough to ASK if i wanted a room. she ran to car and co worker drove off before i could say no. i chose this. city cop, and sheriff deputy did not give me a choice. said i HADto leave or they would get annoying calls all night from people worrying about me????!!! i doubt they did. if so, my leaving would not stop the calls as they would not know if i left. i have talked to some people who have worked there summers,plus i am going to get in touch via friends with a lady i know on the days of 76 staff. it is a campground,museum rodeo, all next to one another. i am going to try to get my cab fare back. it was definitely an illegal eviction. i had done nothing wrong. i was glad the 15$ for that nite's space was brought to me in spearfish. in cash. if i had not been invited to stay with rv'ers in new mexico, i am not sure what rangers would have done. and YES, that is discrimination. i had never encountered that before. at my age, i want to do plenty of camping and hiking, so dont need things like this. will try to contact other seniors to help stop this sort of thing. thanks for asking.