Banff NP

wspscott

I recently got to spend some time in Banff NP. Here is an abbreviated trip report, there are a ton more photos and details here https://backpackandbeer.blogspot.com/2017/08/banff-2017.html

A mix of dayhikes and car camping and backpacking
6/13 - 6/20/17 (3 nights camping)

Dayhikes: Lake Minnewanka, Tunnel Mountain, Lake Agnes Teahouse (Lake Louise), Bow Glacier Falls.
Backpack/car camp: Lake O'Hara (Yoho NP), Rampart Creek campground and Glacier Lake

Day 1 highlight: Lake Minnewanka

banff0018.JPG

Day 2 highlight: Bow Lake

2017-06-15+16.46.15.jpg

Day 3 highlight: Hike to Lake Oesa (Lake O'Hara)

banff_pano11a.JPG

Day 4 highlight: Lake O'Hara

banff_pano18a.JPG

Day 5 highlight: tie between the Saskatchewan River at the Rampart Creek Campground

banff0608.JPG

and Glacier Lake

banff0817bw.JPG

Day 6: Howse River

2017-06-19+10.27.26.jpg

You were able to score permits to Lake O'Hara!!  Congrats on that.  Did you do the alpine loop? Still consider that one of my finest day hikes ever.

10 hours ago, John B said:

You were able to score permits to Lake O'Hara!!  Congrats on that.  Did you do the alpine loop? Still consider that one of my finest day hikes ever.

I was lucky that I could get one night at Lake O'Hara, but most of the trails were buried under a ton of snow, including most of the Alpine Circuit. Hopefully, I'll get to do that next time :)

The photo of Lake O'Hara is from Wiwaxy Gap, basically the only part of the Circuit that was accessible.

14 hours ago, PaulGS said:

Nice trip report wspscott, and great photos too!

I'm off to Glacier Lake myself next week and can't wait!

Glad you liked the photos. What do you have planned for Glacier Lake?

I wish I had hiked up to the tarn below the glacier at the head of the lake. Also, I noticed a pretty big waterfall on the side of Sullivan Peak. Getting there would involve a lot of scrambling and dealing with some brush, but it looked doable, just keep climbing up an old slide area.

Please post a couple photos, it is a beautiful area.

I don't have anything in particular planned for Glacier Lake. I had to cancel another trip two weeks ago nearer to Banff due to forest fires and this is the first chance I've had to get out  since then so thought I'd go and check out Glacier Lake.

1 hour ago, PaulGS said:

I don't have anything in particular planned for Glacier Lake. I had to cancel another trip two weeks ago nearer to Banff due to forest fires and this is the first chance I've had to get out  since then so thought I'd go and check out Glacier Lake.

Too bad about the fires, but I hope you enjoy your trip

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2017 at 1:54 PM, PaulGS said:

PaulGS, how was Glacier Lake? Any photos?

13 hours ago, wspscott said:

PaulGS, how was Glacier Lake? Any photos?

Glacier Lake was good. Got extremely windy after I had set up my tent so next time I might set it up somewhere else than right on the shore :o

I had wanted to explore the overgrown trail towards Howse River but because of the storm and that this was a one night trip I'll have to leave that to next time.

1A.thumb.jpg.ef9048e7d4ff13b73a343fe88e8a8465.jpg

Morning after the storm. Tent looks fine now but the winds were so strong and the poles flexing so much I thought they might snap.

2A.thumb.jpg.7253200755ed83014cdec7279cf04787.jpg

Evening was windy too so the old cabin came in handy for cooking supper.

Edited by PaulGS
  • Like 1