2017 Solar Eclipse

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Anyone else get out or travel / hike / backpack to experience the eclipse yesterday? I had originally thought about backpacking in, but settled for a short hike instead and we were lucky enough to already be in the path here. I thought the eclipse itself was pretty interesting but I'd say just in general the stars coming out and it getting dark just before noon on a hot summer day, was the best part for me. Was a bit tricky getting photos with time ticking away and haven't exactly had a lot of practice photographing a total eclipse, but thought at least one turned out well enough. 

2017 Solar Eclipse

• Like 2

• Premium Member
Mark Wetherington

I watched the eclipse (not in the path of totality, percentage was in the low 90s) from a rest area in Idaho along I-90. Not the best venue, but I was returning from a backpacking trip in Glacier Peak Wilderness (Washington) so I don't suppose I can complain too much.

I will definitely be planning backpacking trips around the next eclipse.

• Like 1

I thought about backpacking and then got worried about clouds and then I realized that I wanted my kids to see the eclipse. So I headed to what I hoped would be a quiet area in the Cherokee National Forest. Lots of other people had the same idea :)

2017-08-21+14.07.19.jpg

There was a reason a lot of people were here, great viewpoint

2017-08-21+14.32.50.jpg

Cell phone and solar eclipse glasses about an hour before totality

2017-08-21+13.31.36.jpg

SLR and eclipse glasses

eclipse27.JPG

Totality

eclipse37.JPG

We had a great time, but in the end I wish I had not bothered with photographs during totality.

• Like 1

Camped out in the Pawnee Grasslands in N Colo, then drove about 30 miles north of Scottsbluff and set up along a ranch road. It was like visiting another planet.

Didn't fiddle with the camera, but set it up and let it run during totality. Here's a frame grab, looking SE. It was a 360 sunset.Frame-28-08-2017-07-30-04.jpg.0b23127e1bb25513635502e475fe66ac.jpg

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Wow, great photos all around! I think next time I experience something like this or similar I'll definitely have to bring myself to put the camera down at some point as well. The timelapse idea might be a good compromise...

Unfortunatley, literally a minute or two before totality, a cloud went over and stayed until around 1445 EST. I was pissed. It was so clear all morning and afternoon, then the clouds, then it cleared back off. But like you said..... Just seeing it get dark, hearing the crickets, watch birds fly around returning to their nests was really cool. AND, the roosters started crowing as it began to lighten back up.... Crazy!!!