Beach camping

Game Warden

I will be doing an out-and-back overnight hike on an Atlantic barrier island. I've never camped on a beach before. Any tips? Boots or barefoot? What about all that sand?

Are you using a tent or a tarp? If you're using a tent, I'd keep your shoes out of the tent. You can use your socks to wipe your feet off before you stick them in. There's no way to avoid getting a little sand in the tent, but you can definitely minimize it. Thoroughly clean the tent once you get back like you would from dirt or mud.

There shouldn't be any issues walking around barefoot except for the usual stuff found on a beach; shells, branches, maybe the occasional jellyfish depending on the area you're in.

Watch how far the tide rolls in so you don't get washed out to sea. You may also have a hard time staking down the tent depending on the firmness/softness of the sand. Otherwise, enjoy the sunsets/sunrises and relaxing on the beach.

I recommend wearing your normal hiking footwear and bringing flip flops for around camp. You may be surprised how quickly sand wears away the skin of your feet. Sandals can be painful because the sand gets between your feet and the straps. You can kick off your shoes and put your toes in the sand any time, but you'll want shoes/boots for walking.

Sand getting is stuff hasn't been a problem for me. Much easier to manage than fine dirt. Bring a foam pad for sitting on & laying things on.

Have fun! 

Sand is very abrasive and will tear up your feet if you go too far. I grew up in SW FL and spent a lot of time at the beach and I still remember the time I had the bright idea to run barefoot on the beach for 5 miles. The next day my feet felt like I had been walking on hot coals.

• Like 1

Bring along a dustpan and brush to be able to brush off the sand and keep your sleeping quarters clean. Long tent stakes, if you'll be staking down in sand. An alternative is a bunch of plastic or canvas bags. You fill the bags with sand, and tie the bags to the tent strings. Bury the bags and they'll hold nicely. If you have some kind of canopy or shelter for your picnic table you might like some shade - around the beach campsites have no shade/shelter/trees. And a lot of bug spray and  sunscreen.

• Like 1