Review: Casio Pathfinder PAW1300 Multifunction Watch

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I checked out various replacement options and eventually settled on the Casio Pathfinder PAW1300 – A slimmer design than other Casio Pathfinder (Now named Pro Trek) watches. A lot of multifunction outdoor watches are huge, and I both needed something that was small and light enough to not bother a guy who’s a lightweight backpacker and doesn’t like to wear a watch in the first place...Plus, the watch was solar powered so no more battery replacement headaches.

We take a look at this solar powered multifunction watch from Casio, read the full review below in Issue 6:

Casio PAW1300 Review

Issue 6 Page 1

Review: Casio Pathfinder PAW1300 Multifunction Watch

• 2 months later...
ppmccormick

I recently bought the Casio Pathfinder PAG240-8. $159 on Amazon.com. So far it works well however the display screen is hard to read if you are not in sunlight. Needless to say it is a bit challenging inside. This model does not have the atomic clock feature but it seems to be holding time just fine.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

The PAG240-8 looks like a good value...I could see how the screen might be hard to read under some circumstances. The atomic timekeeping feature on the PAW1300 has been nice for time changes but without a doubt more of a luxury than anything...

• 6 months later...
Rick-Pittsburgh

I have the 2500-1. The biggest selling point for me was that unlike Suuntos I don't have to worry about juice. The ProTrek is solar powered. So far it has been a solid purchase. Once calibrated it is pretty accurate... and as long as one uses a lil common sense and keeps it strapped to a pack harness(not you wrist) it will give a pretty accurate temp reading as well.

post-696-14350871576_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

And another multi-function Casio

Notice the temperature. As Rick says, that's only going to be valid if it's exposed to the ambient temperature. Kind of defeats the purpose, but I find I usually don't have a lot of use for it, except bragging rights. Properly calibrated, the altimeter seems like it's fairly accurate, and that's what I usually use the watch for.

post-695-143508716969_thumb.jpg

Edited by Peter