Hello Fellow Adventurers

FrankieTrails

FrankieTrails

I'm just getting back into backpacking again and I'm really excited to start planning out a two-day hike in the NY area.  I did a ton of camping and backpacking when I was younger in my Boy Scout days.  Haha, yes I am an Eagle Scout.  Anyway, I've never really planned out a multi-day trek and not sure where to start as far as picking a trail.  I've checked out a couple sites like ViewRanger and Trails.com.  Not sure whats the best way to plan it out.  Also, I'm going to need some inexpensive gear.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

Thanks,

Frankie

Welcome.

I'm not sure what part of the state you're in or where you're willing to travel to, but there's a small section of the Appalachian Trail in New York and there's the Adirondacks, and likely many more places. Have you checked http://www.alltrails.com?

What time of year are you looking to go in?

As for the gear, if you could tell us what gear you currently have and your budget, we might be able to provide some better recommendations as to what to get.

FrankieTrails

Thanks for the info!  I live on Long Island, NY.  But, I'm willing to drive 2-3 hours past the city.  I've done many hikes near Harriman, but would rather something a little further out.

I pretty much need a new backpack, tent, and sleeping bag.  I know Campmor in NJ is pretty good, but was wondering if there were other alternatives.  Wanted to keep the budget around $500.

I think @Aaron has a ZPacks pack for sale here on the forums. That may suit your needs for short duration trips. What tent do you have now? Are you open to using a tarp? If so, you can save a lot of money on a basic tarp.

Sleeping bags are all personal preference. REI makes some decent bags for reasonable prices that are worth checking out.

For just getting back into hiking and backpacking, you just need the basics to be able to get out there. You can upgrade your gear as you do more trips and you begin to figure out what your preferences are.