No cook Backpacking

Jaeagle

Just ordered the seeds to start doing sprouts on the trail! I wish I could love hummus and I have tried but I can’t. I am really thankful for these great suggestions. So much better then the cold mash potatoes and bland ramen. I still will go with some hard meats but the greens are going to help so much!

TU for your kind words.

As said sprouts are so darn nutritious, tasty, can contain some good fats like omega 3's from sprouted flax seed, provide hydration from their high water content, activate enzymes useful to absorbing more nutrients from our diet(something we all want on trail and off), provide fiber, are largely  a complex carb rather than the junk food empty carbs found in most trail food choices that can play havoc instigating roller coasting energy levels, provide a more sustained feeling of satiation, can have off the charts antioxidant levels and promote a better microbiome conducive to  healthier immune and neurological systems.

Before writing off hummus hummus  is now widely available pre made using black beans, edamame, white beans, etc with  a wide variety of flavors. You might try some of these at home first. Then, make the same recipe on trail using powdered hummus as the base. This approach can be used looking at pricey freeze dried packaged food ingredients/recipes tweaked to your own desires.  

If we are what we eat doesn't it pay in multiple ways to consume highly nutritious tasty real food rather than food like products that are  highly processed highly refined empty calorie junk food possibly even saving some consumable wt on trail while increasing energy levels?

Dogwood I just need you as a nutrition and life coach! Started sprouting at home and now my whole family is hooked. I am almost all Whole Foods for my next hike now.

It's interesting you say this Jaeagle, " I am almost all Whole Foods for my next hike now." I've had some on trail interaction about trail food receiving inspiration from CEO John Mackey of WholeFoods, a very insightful not full of himself approachable firm but  non harshly judgmental food conversationalist. His input was very much appreciated.

I hope that offers some greater context  to  why I said, "those are very kind words but simply knowing something I shared has value to you and you're paying it forward is more than enough."   :)

Yes when I go out in my weekend hikes I am going to bring all fresh foods that can be eaten with little to no prep. Not having to find water for rehydration will be awesome and I am sure my body will thank me a million times over!