The Drive Home: The Basics

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

The alarm went off at 4:00 AM. As usual, I’d fully intended to pack the night before, but had given up halfway through the evening in favor of sleep. I started the coffee maker and then quickly took my last shower for the next 2 days. I never could quite get used to turning lights on in the morning – It just never seemed right with sunrise eminent. But incandescent lights lit the scene as I downed 2 cups of coffee and finished packing from the night before. I checked the doors to make sure they were locked, then checked again. I stumbled outside into the predawn morning and towards the car. Frost covered everything and my breath filled the air. I threw my pack in the backseat and the car chugged to life slowly, groaning against the cold. Heat to the max, I sped away toward the trailhead, 7 hours away...

More thoughts from the trail and after - And another excellent contribution from Forum Member Gary M! Check out the full article below in Issue 6:

The Basics

Issue 6 Page 1

A Backpacking Trip to Porcupine Mountains State Park Wilderness, Michigan

What a winter treat! I got home early from work this afternoon and.....TrailGroove Issue 6! As before, totally, absolutely wonderful photography, great articles, I love it! My personal highlights:

Goblin Valley by Jessica Smith I was lucky enough to hike Arches many years ago, and this brings back those unforgettable memories of my all time favorite place to be.

CDT by Adrienne Marshall The Continental Divide in watercolor. I've never been there, but now I want to be!

Photo Tips by David Cobb My photos only wish they were as top quality, now if I can only apply the tips.

And....The Drive Home by Aaron Yes, I'll admit to being biased, but I look forward to the Drive Home each issue.

Gary M

Edited by Gary M
spelling correction "lucky"

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Thanks Gary! Glad you enjoyed the latest issue... We definitely had some great contributions come in!

I really enjoyed issue #6. The photography tips by David Cobb made me want to go back to the archives and re-read tips one and two over, especially after attending a brief photography workshop a week ago.

I also enjoyed, albeit it with butterflies in my stomach, the Primal Fear article on being lost by Heide Brandes. I was lost once as a child walking to the zoo a couple miles from my house and the feeling of panic still exists deep inside.

And lastly, I cannot finish a comment on TrailGroove magazine without a smile and a nod to my favorite section, The Drive Home.

Thanks for the wonderful evening read!

Excellent issue! I really enjoy the writing style for The Drive Home. It's so easy to be lured into hiking many miles for the sake of covering more ground, but I often wonder what is missed in reaching that goal? For myself, I know if I don't take the time to look around I'll spend more time with my head down looking at the trail rather than enjoying the land that I'm hiking through. And, what's the point then?

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

HikerJen,

Thanks for taking a look at the latest issue and glad that you enjoyed reading The Drive Home! For me it comes down to striking a balance - There's something to be said for making the miles, but like you said...There comes a certain point where the only thing you might end up seeing is your feet... :D