Garmin Oregon 600t

Sabaka417

Does  Anyone have first hand experience with this GPS model?  I am looking for a GPS model to take with me on my self-supported canoe trip on the Suwannee River starting at the FL / GA State line to the town of Suwannee on the Gulf. I seek a device of reasonable cost that has electronic compass. I will carry a cell phone for emergencies, etc. but since I'll be solo, having a dedicated GPS unit seems wise. I appreciate any input you might have.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Don't have any experience with the Garmin, but I use Gaia GPS on my smarthphone. Might be worth a look, although if it were to replace a dedicated GPS unit you might want to consider additional options to keep the phone charged:

For Aron - Thank you for your reply. I became aware yesterday of Gaia GPS app and downloaded to my Android. Learning how to use it. Also, I have a solar panel kit and a battery pack for those days short on solar energy. Thank you again for your observations and advice!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Sounds like you should be pretty well set! I'd think you wouldn't have to use it all that much with the river being a pretty good guide on its own.

For Aaron - Since I would be by myself (self-supported) I would be sending positional reports to a select group of family so sending Lat / Lon coordinates seems to be the only reliable way to pinpoint where I am in case I need help. 231 river miles and 14 days a lot can happen!  :-) Once again thank you Sir.

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Gotcha, have you considered something like the Delorme / Garmin inReach? You can setup the tracking to automatically send your coordinates at intervals to whomoever you'd like to keep in the loop. Our review of the previous model:

https://www.trailgroove.com/issue10.html?autoflip=49