Current gear lists!

Jaeagle

Ok so I am doing something I wish I would have seen when I first started doing a full gear list down to the nitty gritty stuff. Please feel free to make suggestions for improvements and also I would love to see others gear lists! 

Pack Osprey atmos 50- 4lbs chosen for suspension and the all mighty guarantee. 

Shelter owl3 2 man tent- 2.7lbs great single walled tent good for summer and spring. Chosen for weight and price it was $25 on amazon. My back up is the golden bear 1 man tent-3.3 Ibs this is my fowl weather tent. Very small but damn near bullet proof. 

Sleep costco down throw conversion- 1.1 lbs good to 30 degrees as I sleep warm and it cost $21. For pad I use the big angus aircore- 1lb I have tried ccf and self inflating Mats but for weight and size I finally converted to  a full inflatable and never looked back. 

Cook toaks 550 titanium pot- 2.6 oz and a BRS stove- .88 ozs both selected for weight savings and for only boiling water it’s a rock solid set. I have an extra long plastic spork and eat directly from the freeze bag as I do freezer bag cooking. 

Water I use the sawyer squeeze with three 1 liter smart water bottles- 3 oz for filter and 1oz for each bottle empty. I will also carry an empty platypus Incase I am far between sources.

hygiene will not list weights individual but over all it is at 8 oz- the duece of spades, Tp, zpacks toothbrush, mini deodorant, goldbond powder. 

First aid again not doing individual but this is at 4oz- bandaids, alcohol pads (emergency fire starting as well), Quik clot, medical tape, glow stick, IBUPROFEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, anti diarrhea meds. 

Clothing old navy ultralight workout shorts, performance T-shirt’s, compression boxer briefs and darn tough socks with liners. I don’t have a weight because it’s all on me. To sleep in I have a spare pair of socks and 32degree thermal underwear. For shoes I wear merrel Moab’s, rain gear is full set of frog toggs.

odds and ends  headlamp with three brightness modes- 3 oz , I phone 7 plus with battery case 11.8 oz, compass 1 oz. 

I am sure I am forgetting about something so feel free to call me out on it and I will add it to the list! 

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Definitely some nice budget solutions in there. Is the glow stick just for an additional emergency light source / marker? My list is always a work in progress, take things away, add in a few others. Keeps it interesting I guess!

Yes the glow stick is as an emergency marker! I tend to hike in the desert so when leaving camp to look for water if it’s more then a 5 min walk I leave a lamp on at camp but also will carry a glow stick Incase I get lost. 

Any suggestions you have please share! I am always looking to shed weight or use more multi use items! I have come along way from my first gear list but think it’s an ever changing thing. 

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Looks like you could save some weight between the pack and tent, but not without a price. Maybe an insulated sleeping pad for cooler conditions? (Or you could always just add in that CCF if you still have it when needed)

• 3 months later...
Grey Mouse

Here are my suggestions:

1) If money allows it perhaps a Zpacks Soloplex (15.5oz) or Duplex (21.0 oz) tent. http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/solplex.shtml  

2) A MLD 475ml TI cup (36g/1.26oz) for drinks  https://sticksblog.com/2012/05/10/mld-475-ml-mug/

3) A lightweight titanium wind screen for your stove since the desert can be windy  

4) A MSR Piezo handheld igniter for your stove in the wind (.5oz)  https://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10000001&langId=-1&productId=230453&storeId=10208&krypto=2%2Bot0EEtvbq1ymgEplswHeScG12g2rSElB6Qb6DpofVdECKugSwHPLDBrcoE30E27HTvwYBucN%2FMHNbEYqWDzQ0csgT35PSgJOMwe9fPp5uC7Un5V%2FetAc5zo1FwybVIXLJq%2FsAuY8ltccK9W9GgZRXaKv8sA%2Bgkko7luy%2Fxajbh5eJgH9lSF0zIGSDcMAuGcq20RKtrUbOBnFEYk6XRYlWA1eyQTi4X8TsKX7%2FVGaY%3D&ddkey=https%3Amoosejaw%2Fshop%2Fproduct_MSR-Piezo-Ignitor_10238428_10208_10000001_-1_

5) for first aid stuff try looking on ebay for first-aid re-supply kits that will offer tons of creams, salves, etc for under $20  

6) Replace you tent guy lines with Zing-It 1.75mm cords to save an ounce or two. I switched my tarp (ten guy lines) over and saved a bundle of weight and they are stronger to boot  https://dutchwaregear.com/product/mini-spools/  

7) I love Osprey packs but if you want to go light maybe an Arc Haul (27.5oz) in the future to save weight. I prefer the zippered model. http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/arc_haul_zip.shtml  

8) Deodorant is a luxury but if you want it then consider placing the solid inside a small zip lock bag to save the weight of the container and to help keep it from evaporating easily. Same goes for the gold bong powder insofar as a bag. That will also save on bulk. I use the pill zip lock bags from wal-mart myself for Dr. Bronner castille liquid soap (double bagged) that serves as my shampoo, shower, and dish soap.

9) I would suggest a 3' roll of tenacious tape (12g) in your pack for field repairs

Share gear list ? Of course :) This was my last three day hike's list minus the trail mix and the two morning breakfast meals from packit gourmet. It is my 5-7 day mountaineering pack (88L). I almost went with the bigger expedition ten day pack (Osprey Xenith 105L) but this one does just fine. I am in the process of getting a arc hual zip, a SLD winter haven four season tarp, and such for ultra light trips. My wife uses the  Osprey Aura Womens 65L and loves it. https://www.geargrams.com/list?id=48423

Edited by Grey Mouse

• 2 weeks later...

There are several ways to help reduce your weight, but how much are you willing to spend? If you have a budget, that would help a lot.

I recommend using something like LighterPack or TrailPost for keeping your pack list(s) organized. Once you weigh your gear, you can add the weights on there and it will break everything down for you.

I also recommend that you add up all of your worn weight because it will add up. You'll find that the clothes you wear can weigh you down or you'll have additional items on your body while hiking that you didn't want to count in your pack weight, but the weight is still there.

• 2 weeks later...

How can anyone have a singular "gear list"????  What ends up in my pack depends on a plethora of conditions and circumstances and it is seldom the same for any subsequent trip.  Tents, bags, pads, packs, clothing and even the cooking gear are dictated by where, when, how many people, how many days, and even the weather forecast.  A tee shirt and shorts don't function well in a snowstorm.

A person can have limited gear and have only one singular list by listing clothing as an optional item that is subject to change with the seasons. This is also true if they only get to hike during certain times of the year such as vacations.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I handle the conundrum by having a single core list of things that I take on every trip - but listing things more generally (for example "shelter" vs. a particular one, or "stove" and then I'll pack whichever fits the trip at hand) and then separately listing those optional items that aren't taken on every trip, like traction devices or a headnet.