REI Dividends for 2018

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Just happened to check my dividend balance over at REI this morning, and it looks like the dividends for 2018 have now been posted - here's the link where you can check your balance:

https://www.rei.com/membership/dividend

Appears as though they moved the dividend release date up a bit this year! Would guess that the usual sale is upcoming shortly as well. Don't have much on my list but one item I might be interested to test out would be the new Big Agnes AXL insulated sleeping pad which would save some weight over my current Synmat from Exped (although I'm pretty happy with it). If I don't go that route, I'll probably just stock up on some Mountain House, socks, etc.

Anyone have any gear they've been wanting to pick up from with this year's dividend / combined with the upcoming yearly REI 20% off member sale?

• Premium Member

Thanks for the reminder!  I'm planning to use mine on new REI base layers... just need to decide between midweight and lightweight. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

I've become a fan of their baselayers and the CO-OP clothing line over the past couple years...good fit, performance, and durability while being more economical than some other brands and options (and especially when on sale).

I'm also thinking about picking up some new base layers for an upcoming hike. I've been needing some for a while and this is a good use of the dividend. Of course I'll likely end up with more than that, because I can't just buy one thing from REI at a time for some reason. :D

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I joined the Co-op in 1968. The early catalogues were full of information about equipment.  I miss reading them.

In the 1970s I was in Seattle going to forestry school.  We used to sleep on the sidewalk in front of the old main store for the big annual sale. 

The company de-evolved in the last 20 years.  Their boats are crappy, their climbing equipment is basic.  They have succumbed to slick advertising and sportswear like most of the other companies.  This probably won't make sense to you if did not know the company a long time ago. Still a good outfit.  I was in a store recently to buy a warmer sleeping pad. 

I learned to backpack from my Dad who is 93. He learned from his Dad.  Equipment used to be very basic.  I took my Dad to the main REI store in Seattle recently to look around.  He was in amazement and could not figure out why there so many kinds of packs and tents and why they cost so much.