Issue 6 Released

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Issue #6 of our backpacking and hiking magazine is now available! Click the preceding link or the cover image below to take a look:

In This Issue:

A Land of Enchantments, Washington State

The CDT: In Watercolors

Review: Casio Pathfinder PAW1300 Multifunction Watch

Goblin Valley State Park, Utah

Family Camping

Gear Mash: Cool Gear We've Come Across This Season

Photo Tips from the Trail: Including a Foreground

Primal Fear: The Psychology of Being Lost

Backcountry Cuisine: Hiker's Risotto

The Drive Home: The Basics

We also have a great trail tip and more. If it's your first time viewing the magazine, we suggest starting on Page 1 for viewing tips and tricks.

If you would like to view the magazine offline or prefer a different format, a PDF is also available. (8MB)

post-3-143508713964_thumb.jpg

Another great issue! I particularly enjoyed Primal Fear. I've experienced some of those same emotions. Plus the fact that the author described a situation that happened to her in my neck of the woods. The trails in Arkansas often have a habit of disappearing. Keep up the great work!

Yes, definitely another great issue. Especially loved the Washington photos, and I have to concur that Primal Fear was a great article. I'm in the middle of reading Laurence Gonzales' book Deep Survival for the second time. Your author brings up some of the same research, but in a very grounded easy to relate to way.

Also, I can relate to Gary M's story in The Drive Home.

Thanks again for devoting your time and energy to such a great online magazine!

Edited by Leigh

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Thanks guys! Great to hear about your highlights and we'll work to keep it coming... :D

Leigh, thanks for reading and commenting on the Drive Home and my small contribution. I happened to be thinking that day just what really put me on the trail in the first place. The stark contrast between the city and the woods led to me backpacking and hiking and I still love it.

Aarons "The Drive Home " with his parting remarks has become my favorite part of TrailGroove, even though I also really, really love the photography.

Gary M

Great article on family camping...my best memories as a kid are waking up damp in an old rusty starcraft popup. those were the good old days, heck we use to sleep in that thing out in the pasture all weekend if my dad couldnt take us up to the river...we were kings of the outdoors in those days!

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

Gary - Thanks again for your contribution and thanks for your comments on the Drive Home!

Jason - I also really enjoyed Jolly Green Giant's take on Family Camping - Definitely brought back a few memories for me as well.

Aaron, you are very welcome, this is exactly what I feel is the strength of TrailGroove;

That is.......regular people who just happen to love backpacking and hiking contributing together online.....it's a great concept as far as I'm concerned!

I was able to get off work early today and hoped to sneak in a short hike, but sorry real life got in the way! I do plan on a nice hike early Sunday morning at Smithville, MO; a large lake about 45 miles north of my home in Kansas.

Gary M

• 2 weeks later...

Finally have the chance to read this as we speak...

I enjoyed the Random Trail Tip on p.7 about the subway bags. I recently had to resort to this on a trip a few weekends ago when my shoes got waterlogged from snow melt.

Nice tip indeed!

I was taught this trick when I was a (Life??) Boy Scout, except we used Wonderbread bags I think.

I would guess a number of TrailGroove readers were once BSA members.

Gary M

Olathe, Kansas