Thru-Hiking The Mountains of France

Aaron Zagrodnick

• Premium Member
Aaron Zagrodnick

When I mention hiking in France, it tends to illicit an immediate reaction of assumptions and misconceptions. The comments tend to address the validity of long distance hiking in Europe compared to what most Americans have experienced in the United States. The most common comments include, “Is there real backpacking in France?” “Isn’t it all road walking and overcrowded hostels?” “You need a lot of money to hike out there.” “You know camping is prohibited out there.” “Are there even mountains out there!?” “As a thru-hiker, it’s not your type of hiking, you won’t enjoy it.” With all of this in mind, I went into my summer of hiking in the Pyrenees Mountains and French Alps with few expectations other than great scenery...For reference, the Pyrenees Mountains run the full length of France’s border with Spain. The most common long trails that run the length of the Pyrenees are the GR11 on the Spain side, and the GR10 on the French side. Both of these trails are well traveled routes that are fairly popular with many options for guidebooks. I was looking for something with a bit more solitude, and off the more beaten path, so I chose the Haute Route Pyrenees. The HRP runs between the GR11 and GR10, sometimes even following them for stretches, with the aim of traveling...

In Issue 37, @Wired details the hiking routes and trails of France, read the full article at the link below:

Thru-Hiking The Mountains of France

Trekking Pyrenean Haute Route and the GR5 of France

Issue 37 Page 1

I enjoyed the article and one of these three is on my list to do. I haven't done enough research to figure out which one yet, but as I go through the planning process, articles like this and the Cicerone books will be very helpful. She's lucky to have the ability to hike as much as she does.