Beginner - All weather jacket?

jjwhite3

Hi guys, my name is Jon, I'm currently a junior in college and am highly considering taking 6-8 months off and hiking the full length of the AT within a year or two of graduation. That being said, what brand or type of all-weather jacket(s) would you all recommend ? 

I went on a 3-4 day backpacking trip with my school over the summer and we did not utilize heavy jackets. 

Thanks,

Jon

What do you mean by "all weather"?

In the SE Appalachaians during the spring (start of a NOBO hike) you would likely want a puffy jacket for night time and probably a rain jacket. I was just in the Smokies and did not get rain, but I did get snowed on and the night time lows were about 25 degrees.

Later in the summer, you could avoid the puffy, but would still likely want a rain jacket.

And by the time you got to Maine, you would be back likely wanting a puffy for night time.

The best time to get a job is right after graduating from college, you would probably be better off hiking the AT now and then return and finish your degree, that way there would not be a gap on your resume that you need to explain.

• 4 months later...
redhtbassplyr

I have a Outdoor Research Helium 2 jacket, which should work for you. When it's colder I just combine that with my Kuhl Firefly down jacket underneath( your good down into the teens and single digit Fahrenheit temps). I live in Georgia and the Helium 2 won't keep you warm enough in Dec-Feb, but other that those months I take this alone. It only weights 6.4 oz and packs into one on of the internal pockets which doubles as it's stuff sack. It's a durable, breathable, waterproof thin rain jacket by definition, but I've gotten by using it as a great windbreaker over top a baselayer/shirt combo that'd did the job in I'd say 32F and up temps. 

• 7 months later...

There are some good outdoor clothes out there, but none are really all-weather.  You still have a choice in the wet.  You can wear a garment that breathes and you will eventually get wet from the outside.  Or you can select a more water proof garment and get wet from the inside from your own sweat.  For heavy rain, I like a light rain proof garment.  When the rain lets up some I take it off and just wear wool or fleece.