Doing Yellowstone for the first time this year, seeking advice and info.

jay

I am finally doing the trip to Yellowstone that I have always told myself I was going to do.  I figured to go to the experts on here and seek any advice and info that might make this the trip I want it to be. Right now, am planning an early to mid- September trip and want to be there 7-10 days.  What I am most interested in are the little known sites that are off the beaten path.  I am planning on going alone and basically want to enjoy the landscape as much as possible (ie minimal human contact) without being overwhelmed by other parties.  Any inside information from those of you that have been there as to sites, climate, packing etc. would be greatly appreciated.  I do know that there are a number of things that make this park unique and want to experience as much as I can.  This is the best place I can think of for this kind of information.

Thanks in advance, all!

Edited by jay

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip!

I have been doing a lot of research so far but want to get an "on the ground" opinion as to some of the places that interest me.  It's a pretty long trip for me to get there (from Ohio) so I want to get the most out of it I can.

• 5 months later...

Jay,

The Park is enormous, you can't see it all.  I have been going since 1955. Keep in mind that 90% of the use in the Park is within 1/4 of a mile of a road (and some boardwalks).

Sepetmber is the best month to visit.  The elk rut starts around Sept 18, but it can snow anywhere on the Plateau by then. 

There are some excellent dirt roads around that most people ignore.  Take them whenever you can. Great for day hikes. 

Lamar Valley is the American Serenghetti.  The critters are definitely there all the time. 

If you are traveling alone in the fall in Yellowstone you must be vigilant.  Situational awareness is very important.  I have come upon lone bull bison many times, moose a few times.  Bears around also.  If you are new at being in the West you may be over your head on a solo backpacking trip in Yellowstone.  You have to learn to make noise when traveling, avoid the brush, camp away from any food or cosmetics, etc. Until these things are second nature it is best to travel in a group. 

Let me know if you have specific questions.  I love the place. 

Thanks for your input, I had done a lot of research and had chosen the Lamar River for this trek.  However, Hurricane Florence changed my plans.  I was all set to go and then the hurricane happened.  I don't live in the affected area but would have felt like a total dirt bag if I went to Yellowstone and not gone down to help.  So I modified my packing a bit and spent 2 weeks volunteering in a shelter in South Carolina.  Yellowstone will have to wait another year, it seems.

I don't regret the decision in the least, I was actually able to go down and do a small amount of good for people that were desperately in need.

Thanks again for the input.  I still plan on going, just will have to wait a bit longer.

Edited by jay